Threads for 3d printing

All right. I knew one day this question would show up for me. But i promised myself not to ask it until i had a year of SU under my belt. That year was a couple of weeks ago.

Usually when i make parts for a machinist in solidworks, i just call out the dims for threads and screws… BUT i am going to start printing things now that threads will be very beneficial for me:)

Where do i even begin?
What if i want to create my own size of thread that is not a standard size?

I guess an example would be a basic threaded cylinder being indexed with a square block that has the same matching threads. i know i will use the threaded cylinder as my cutting tool. that part seems straight forward.

Thank you much:)

2 Likes

Drawing screw threads in SketchUp is no big deal, really but depending on the size of them and the printer, it may not make much sense to do it. You might be better off modeling holes a bit undersized and tapping them.

That’s not the best idea for real threads. The internal threads will need to be a bit larger than the external threads. There are lots of tables available on the web that give you the dimensions for both internal and external threads.

2 Likes

My printer is pretty good. Its the creality CR10s. Mostly the parts i would put threads on would be larger bolts like half inch size, Quater inch bolts would be the smallest IF i even do that haha.

I see what you mean with using that as a cutting tool. i would just scale the cutter a we bit larger then re scale it or just delete said tool.

thanks

I’d suggest you spend a little time looking at tables that provide the dimensions for standard threads. Scaling by itself won’t work right because you’ll wind up changing the pitch, too.

snap. ok. ill look at some tables. ill start with the metric.
so, what tools or extensions will i need for this? if any. and once i have the tools/extensions, am i creating a helix/spirial that a triangle shapped object will be attached to, then use the follow me tool?

I find Curve Maker and Upright Extruder are useful. Follow Me is most likely not going to do what you want.

And look closely at the thread profiles. They aren’t normally just triangular. Very often there’s a flat at the major and minor diameters and the widths of those flats are usually different. Probably can’t see it in the image above but those are British Standard Whitworth threads and they have a round root and crest.

hmm, then my idea from solidworks to SU is not going to work. I was going to have the rounded triangular shape, i can not explain what it looks like, attach to the spiral shape and then have it follow the path, and be used as a cutting tool.

Ill find those two extension. im reading about metric threads now.

Whats the “general” procedure ill follow to at least start a basic thread?

thanks

I use the Helix tool from Curve Maker to draw a helix with at the major diameter and the right pitch to use as a path for Upright Extruder. I draw a profile for the threads and Bob’s yer uncle.

1 Like

ok, im going to try from there and see what i can do. Im thinking that extension upright extruder is the key to my idea i have in my head. i think its the tool im thinking of.

Does this look correct for M2.5 threads? So whats the profile supposed to look like? anyone can chime in f they would like:)

That’ll give you a 5 mm diameter screw. The height be turn should be 0.45.

Dang it! I ment 2.5 diameter but i typed that in as a radii measure… again.

The chart i have says pitch is .48mm appart. But your image shows .45. Ill trust the image . Let me change up stuff

yup, my sheet is wrong. time to use your source, or at least a different than i had. Thanks for pointing that out.

now time to draw the profile.

This might be useful, too:

https://www.amesweb.info/Screws/IsoMetricScrewThread.aspx

1 Like

yeah, that helps alot. Now that i have H for a M2.5 is 0.39mm, i can now figure out the other stuff so i can draw the profile on the helix and extrude it.

imjust super tired. taught trig and chem all day to my students and my brain is hurt

You should be all primed for figuring out those threads, then. :smiley:

Or veg in front of the tube.

LOL, i literally sat here staring at my screen, for those 3 minutes until you replied back. Not intentionally waiting, just zoned out.

1 Like

I think i did it correctly haha!oh and i will reverse the faces;)

thanks

now whats the appropriate way to finish the ends of the threads?

Good. Finish the end by putting a chamfer on the rod/screw.

1 Like