10mm insert for rod

My reading is that the microphone industry for whatever reason settled on this as their standard. There are lots of peculiar size threads out there if you look around. For example, the lock screw on one of my vintage Stanley planes is 1/4 - 28. Pretty hard to find any more!

After looking at a catalog of off-the-shelf adapters, I’m led to ask why the 10mm threaded rod? None of the adapters I saw used that size, which leads me to think it isn’t conventional. I suppose the OP’s boom is custom made, in which case they may have chosen 10mm based on metric standard hardware, not microphone standard?

That’s just UNF isn’t it?

No, it’s UNS - see Unified Thread Standard - Wikipedia

Sorry, referring to the OP’s thread type, not Steve’s Stanley plane 1/4" thread

You’re right. I must be mis-remembering the thread. I just know that I couldn’t find any source locally when it went missing.

1/4-28 is UNF.

Yes, that’s it. Slightly finer than British Standard Fine (BSF) which is 1/4" - 26

This might be too long but 5/8-27 on the outside M10x1.5 on the inside.

1 Like

Oh wow would that model you showed work as the correct adapter for my situation? I’ve printed out the 5/8 end before but I just need the 10mm insert to work

I have no idea. I kind of doubt it but maybe. You didn’t say for certain how deep the hole is in the mic nor what thread pitch on the 10mm stud.

its an inch

also its an m10 x 1.5… I believe someone up top mentioned it as well

Which one of these settings would control the pitch? It doesn’t say

I wouldn’t use Helix along Curve to do this. I would use the Helix tool in Curve Maker to draw the helix for the path. That’s what I indicated in the threads I linked to. Helix along curve would be great if you want to draw a coiled phone cord or something like that.

Theres still no pitch setting in that plugin :frowning:

In which plugin? Are you referring to the Curve Maker? If so, the pitch is set as the height per turn. 1.5 in the case of the M10-1.5 screw.
Screenshot - 8_7_2020 , 7_04_06 PM