Upcoming release of SU Pro 2017

When a new version of SU Pro is released it is treated as a new program vice an update. I have to set all of my preferences and tool bars as if starting over. I’m sure I’m just missing something. Does anyone have a recommendation for setting up the interface with future releases in mind?

2 Likes

Here’s what I do for a new release.

1. Custom shortcuts: Those get picked up by the new version of SU so that’s automatic.
  2. Custom materials, styles, components: Those folders from the beginning get put in a place I can quickly access with Open or Create a local collection and Add to favorites.
  3. Custom templates: I just save out a blank SketchUp file from the previous version to somewhere I can access quickly. Open that in the new version and use File>Save as template.
  4. Extensions/Plugins: I always install fresh copies from their source. This helps to eliminate potential problems due to changes in Ruby or other things that might cause old extensions to fail or throw errors. For me it isn’t worth the trouble dealing with the errors if I know I can head them off in the first place. It also gives me an opportunity to do some house cleaning and skip plugins./extensions I don’t use anyway. With the Sketchucation Plugin Store tool, it’s easy to batch install bundles at least for files available there. The EW also makes it easy to automatically install files.
  5. Toolbars: I make a screen shot of the current version showing the toolbars I have active and where they are along with the custom toolbars for the native tools. I import that image into the new SketchUp version as an image and use Zoom Extents to make it fill the drawing space. Then I don’t need to look back and forth between SU versions to make sure I have things where I need them.

It does take a little time to pee in all the corners but for me, the method I use makes it painless.

11 Likes

Boy that’s a great plan. Really appreciate your taking the time to provide that information.

VR
Bill Melvin

1 Like

Happy to help. I’ve been through this new version thing 11 times if my count is right. Every version since V3. It helps to have a system although it has had to be revised slightly a few times.

BTW, could you complete your profile? It can be helpful to know things like what operating system, graphics card and SketchUp version if you have questions or issues with SketchUp.

1 Like

I sure will. I thought I had done that but it must have been another site.

VR
Bill Melvin

1 Like

I stayed with su6 since 2008 cos I had it all set to do my stuff, but that was on xp
then it all got iffy when I went to w8.1 so am now looking at v2016, so I don’t anticipate upgrading for another 5 yrs unless there is a compelling attraction
you get set in ur ways and it takes up lots of valuable time to change
2016 is looking good so far and the way EW an sucation are so well integrated is a big plus point

and to think M$ is trying to force W10 on users for free for what??? - $$$$$$$

Ive still got su4,5,6,7,8 lurking on my xp machine

So I wont worry about upgrades for a while

Robin

My process for the upgrade takes less than 15 minutes. Not a lot of time in reality.

1 Like

It’s a bit funny, every time I switch to a new version I think it’s quite boring and seems unnecessary to manually update these settings. However when done I often find that I’ve skipped a few extension that I didn’t use and that bugged, maybe even got rid of a few toolbars I rarely use and SU feels cleaner and fresher.

5 Likes

I’ve received a lot of good input. I guess I remembered correctly that updating wasn’t totally painless. Now I have an organized approach. I really appreciate the input.

VR
Bill Melvin

1 Like

It’s funny, I have (even before working here) enjoyed the purging process of moving to a new version. I reinstall the extensions that I use and leave others behind. I also end up reevaluating my shortcut system and see what is working and what is not.

1 Like