WIP TUTORIAL -- SKETCHUP - LAYERS - TAGS? How to create, manage and change layer or tag drawings

Display subtitles in English or Spanish
In this tutorial I show you how to display the layers or tags windows, their options and ESPECIALLY how we create, how we manage and how we change the layer or tags.
The layers have been renamed tags from version 2020. But you will see that there is very little difference between the 2.

It would also be nice if you show how to correct reversed faces. :wink:

3 Likes

Yes that’s for sure, but that’s not the subject of the tutorial. I talk about it all the time in the other tutorials, but not in this one indeed.

This is a poor tutorial, you are teaching incorrect usage of tags.

5 Likes

This is one possible use … I would be happy if you show me other possible uses. Thanks in advance.

The correct and recommended way to use tags/layers is to assign them to objects (groups and components) not entities (edges and faces). This is a fundamental thing and is explained in the first and second paragraphs here:

https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/controlling-visibility-tags

Since you are setting yourself up as a qualified SketchUp instructor, it would be a good thing to understand these basics so you can teach them correctly.

4 Likes

Precisely, I explain what happens during layer errors … and how to correct this. Because when we do not know the layers or tags, we make this kind of errors: if you make groups, but the group’s entities are not in the same layer, then you are going to have problems. I never said anything else. Besides, I use groups in the tutorial. You should watch the tutorial completely, the subtitles are perhaps not necessarily well translated (google trad).
I certainly don’t qualify as an expert, but I try to share what I have mastered, that doesn’t stop learning every day and certainly making mistakes, like everyone else, even experts sometimes.

The more you know, it will become more obvious how much you don’t know. :peace_symbol:

1 Like

That’s probably one of the reasons why I didn’t want to learn much in my early years.

2 Likes

“Education is wasted on the young” … somebody smart probably said that once… or should have.

2 Likes

When you graduate from college at a young age, you think “learning is finally over,” Hooray!
Yet, in reality it is just beginning …

“If you were lucky you were taught how to learn.” (my favorite math teacher said)

4 Likes

Or “School is where you go to learn how to learn” From a POP COMMUNICATION radio commercial in my area some years back.
How true it is.

2 Likes

Let’s hope there are still a few that are eager to learn (and play!, not gaming) at that age.

Don’t take these words as being serious.
I’m 68 and still learning every day. That started at day one.

Wise words

1 Like

Back to the matter at hand… @Jerryvento A couple quick notes on your video…

1. As Dave said, spend the extra clicks and model right side out. I know you said that it is not the focus of the video, but showing a model that is modeled incorrectly reduces your appearance as someone who your audience should be listening to.
  2. I know you are showing 2019 vs 2020 versions, but after showing the difference in UI, close 2019 and make 2020 full screen. You are showing everything in half the screen for no real reason.
  3. As mentioned by @box and @DaveR placing raw geometry on layers other than Layer0 or Untagged can have disastrous results. I realize that, by the end of the video, you are assigning groups to tags, you do start by assigning faces directly to tags. Unless the point being made is, “This is something you should NOT do and this is why” then everything in your video should strive to be what your viewer SHOULD be doing.

I realize that you did not post this video here asking for critiques, but there are a few of us here who take the tutorial business pretty seriously and are more than willing to help out people who are looking to make them!

8 Likes

On the sketchup site it is noted:
We strongly recommend assigning tags to objects (groups and components) – and not to entities (edges and faces).
Highly recommended does not mean mandatory. So we have the right to assign a tag to entities, even if this can create big problems, that’s what I’m explaining in my tutorial. I explain how tags work, how to fix layer errors, because the sketchup site also states:
By default, any new raw geometry you create is on the ‘Untagged’ tag.
This is wrong, the entities are drawn on the “active” layer and not on the “untagged tag”.
So there will surely be entities on the wrong layers, which is why I am explaining what can happen and how to fix it. And I’m sure it even happens to experts sometimes …
After do not bother, I will leave this forum to leave it between experts, it’s best for you I think and for me

1 Like

This comment show that you are working too hard.
Don’t change the active layer and you never have to chase the active layer.
All entities are drawn as untagged, then you assign a tag to relevant entities.

3 Likes

Okay I understand better what you mean. These explanations would have been much better earlier, it would have avoided a lot of unnecessary discussions in the end. I prefer constructive comments like yours (especially this comment).
I’ll do another tutorial showing how to best use tags, as the experts recommend. I would also have preferred that these same experts give me the links of their tutorials so that I can see what I need to improve compared to them (at the level of the use of sketchup, because I am only an amateur at all levels).
Thank you

It is important to be aware that every time you post something called a ‘Tutorial’ you are standing up as an expert and many thousands of people may see your tutorial and believe it to be correct. If it has incorrect information in it then it is a poor tutorial. Even if the tutorial reaches a conclusion and explains away any of the ‘bad’ information many many people will not have got to the end. They will just watch until they see the info they think is what they need. Seeing incorrectly orientated faces is a good example, hey that guy is an expert so it must be right.
You have posted quite a few Tutorials at SketchUcation recently and and that gives them a potential huge audience, your Youtube channel is growing and perhaps you are posting elswhere too, none of these things are regulated, so you need to be sure your Tutorials are accurate. There is already an enormous amount of junk and bad sketchup tutorials flooding the internet.

You can always post a wip tutorial if you want people to check and possibly correct any inaccuracies or suggest where you could make adjustments.
Don’t let yourself join those.

5 Likes

I am very interested in the wip tutorials. But I don’t know how it works. Where can I find information on this?
Thank you

I think that @box is suggesting posting your tutorials here for critique before posting them to the world. Giving the experts a a chance to review your videos before posting them elsewhere. Thus getting reviews as they are in progress, rather than giving feedback after the fact.

2 Likes