While designing trusses some boards will not become solid they stay hollow

I am trying to draw up a small workshop and in the process of doing so I occasionally run into some boards that will not become solid, they stay hollow. I completely erase and start again from scratch and still this happens, I also have checked all my measurements. I am using the free version so far and considering going to pro, I am wondering if going to pro will fix this problem or if it is just my lack of knowledge on this software.shed problem.skp (201.1 KB)

It has nothing to do with Pro v. Make.

You could save yourself a lot of work if you made a rafter component and inserted it several times.
Then editing one changes them all.
So if you select the geometry of a ‘good’ rafter to make the component you won’t have issues with other bits messing up, as you will be doing less ‘making’,

The missing faces on some individually modeled rafters is because the edges are not all in the same plane.
To test this draw a diagonal line across where the face ought to be.
Two triangular faces will appear.
If the existing edges are coplanar then you will be able to erase this new diagonal line without affecting the merged face.
However in your case erasing it erases the faces as they are not coplanar.
A simple way to avoid it is to draw the one face forming a side then use PushPull to extrude it to the right thickness - both faces will be made this way.

Using components is a quicker way to model and save effort.
So studs, rafters, posts etc can all be components.
Using components [or groups] is also the way to separate geometry - stopping it sticking together and causing unexpected modeling issues - e.g. I suspect you have accidentally moved something and ended up with a slight skew on the rafters that are giving you grief…

Another tip - some of your faces are ‘reversed’.
Model in Monochrome mode view [add materials after the main forms are made].
In your current Style the front faces are off-white and the backs blue-gray.
As you model check that faces are correctly oriented.
If not the select the face and use the context-menu tool to ‘reverse’ it.
Generally you should never see any back-faces - these should be inside objects.
Keeping faces correctly oriented is important.
Although you can add materials to back-faces and give the illusion of a well modeled object, it is best avoided.
Many rendering apps render back-faces oddly [they assume you won’t see them].
Solid object [e.g. for 3d-printing] expect proper orientation too.

Happy modeling…
Here’s a partially cleaned up screen-shot

2 Likes

Ok, I think I’m understanding you on building the trusses but I have not figured out how to save componets yet even after watching a u-tube video. thank you

Sorry for piling on, but you should also take a closer look at your dimensions. Here’s a stud layout that will cause less cursing in the long run.

And your model with stud and rafter components

Shep
shed problem.skp (203.1 KB)

lol thanks for all your help