Which CPU AMD or Intel

Hello everyone!
I’m trying to set up my new PC. I’m an interior designer and I care about fast rendering in vray. I’m not very familiar with the subject, but from my observations and the budget I have, I’m interested in 64GB RAM and GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 4070 VENTUS 3X OC 12GB GDDR6X. As for the CPU I’m thinking of: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X or Intel Core i9-13900KF. I don’t know which one to choose, so I need advice.
I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

1 Like

I had a quick scoot though some benchmarks - the I9 is better at Single threaded tasks (just) so is better for SketchUp.

It also scores a little better for multi core tasks such as rendering in v-ray or similar.

They are very very similar, so Unless there is a big price difference , go for the intel i9

2 Likes

I’m an architect but also hardware enthusiast, any of those CPUs will be useful only if you use cpu for rendering, since you said you are interested on fast rendering, a gpu will do it a lot faster, for sketchup and almost all the 3D softwares on the market it isn’t necessary having a lot of cores, cause this kind of programs use only one. What I would do is get a cheaper cpu like an intel i5 13600K/KF that has the same single core performance than the i9 and get a better gpu, like the 4070ti, 4080 or 4090, that will improve the rendering times more than a cpu with 64 cores. I have an i7 13700K and a friend also architect got an i5 13600K, we both have the 4070ti, we’ve made some tests rendering on different softwares, and the results are the same, cause neither the i5 or the i7 will bottleneck the gpu. If you want to go with AMD, the 7700X is more than enough for sketchup and can handle a 4090 without bottleneck as well.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. I’ve been rendering on CPU for years. I’ve heard that GPU rendering results lower quality. I haven’t had a chance to check it. What do you think?

If you are talking about V-Ray, a few render features are not supported on GPU rendering, but otherwise there is no quality difference. Check the feature comparison at the V-ray web page.

2 Likes

Some reflections look different on vray from videos I’ve watched, but it’s not a big deal, compared with the time it takes to render it’s something meaningless.

1 Like

Yesterday I had more time to do research on the differences between visualizations made on cpu and gpu. For me the processor does it better, but the results are still very comparable so when it comes to faster work, there is nothing to think about and I have to invest in a better GPU.
Thanks guys for your help

1 Like