When selecting something on the facing wall of a building I deleted the wall on the opposite side. How do I get it back?

Bourbon Warehouse.skp (292.9 KB) I’m drawing a warehouse building with lots and lots of windows. I wanted to change some guidelines and then continued drawing the window opening in a new location. I then checked the opposite side of the building and found that the wall had disappeared. Using UNDO would work, but would eliminate all the intervening work. I’ve been trying to figure out what line caused the disappearance, but haven’t been successful yet.

two questions: first how do you select something on one side of an object without inadvertently selecting objects that are hidden and you don’t want? And second, is there a fast way to figure out what’s missing to re-create the surface? I’ve got lots of hours in this drawing so far and it’s frustrating to have things blow up.

My first suggestion would be to learn how to use Groups and Components more effectively. Your entire model is one gigantic Group! That causes every line to stick to every other line, just as if you hadn’t created a Group at all.

In general, the way to select something without getting things behind it or hidden is to single click the cursor on it. If there is a collection of attached geometry, double- or triple-click on it (double gets a face and all its edges, triple gets everything connected). When you drag-box select, you always get everything in context that satisfies the style of drag-box (left-to-right vs right-to-left) regardless of whether it is behind something else or hidden.

In your specific model, a quick fix that worked for me was to make the front Face a Group, open that Group for edit and push-pull the front Face back to the wall thickness. There are some missing lines in the windows in other walls that you need to add before the same trick will work on the other walls.

Hope that helps!

Steve

Here’s a somewhat cleaned-up revision of your model. This is what I did to fix it:

1. explode your gigantic group
  2. select the front face (single click) and make it a group
  3. open the new group for edit
  4. push-pull the front face back by the thickness of the wall
  5. close the group
  6. for the end walls, I used basically the same attack but I used a component because it looks to me like the walls are the same. I generated the component using the right end wall and edited it as above. Then I moved a copy of the component to the left end.
  7. finally, I hid the group and components and deleted the left-over geometry from the previously partial walls.

As a general recommendation, for objects like walls that are basically the extrusion of a shaped face, it is best to actually construct them that way. That is, draw the outside face and then push-pull it to the required thickness.

Bourbon Warehouse.skp (268.5 KB)

I thought I knew what I was doing with groups, but apparently I didn’t. When I built the walls I was using a technique shown in another SketchUp video; where you draw the base plate, offset the wall thickness, then pull the whole thing up to the height you want. You then fill in the top, add a rectangle and offset it outward to add the eaves. You pull up the eaves to their height and the divide and raise the roof. But I was having trouble with the walls having no thickness. I’ll try your method. The roof got screwed up anyway so i’ll re-draw the whole deal and use grouping more effectively.

Thanks!

You really could make life much simpler for yourself by making one window as a component and arraying it over the whole building. Not to mention if the walls are the same simply make copies and flip them to fit together.
Never draw everything, make parts and multiply them and fit them together.
Do you know how to do an array?
With the move tool press crtl and left click and release, move in the direction you want to go and click to place a copy of the first piece, straight away type 5x and hit enter. This will create 5 copies the same distance as the first copy.
Or, same copy move to begin, click the furthest point you want the copy and then type 5/ and hit enter, this will give you 5 equally spaced between the first and last.

All those guides, how can you see anything.

I actually tried that…component window idea… but when I push/pulled it, it disappeared into the wall. So I gave up on the idea after trying several times. I’m going to start all over using these new approaches. That spacing idea is what I was looking for!

Here’s the new version using all your suggestions… Thank You! One more question: How to I remove the seam lines where the walls joined?Rick House ver 2.skp (96.5 KB) Each line is part of the wall group.

Attached are the finished project using the great solutions found here. I used components for the windows and it sped things up 1000%. I also used grouping for each wall, foundation and roof system. When installing windows, I locked all the other groups. Needless to say, it was much more stable. I finally mastered the array function. At first I wasn’t letting go of the Option key and the multiplier didn’t work. I finally realized after watching the video 3 times, that you only need to click on the Option key and after placing the objects, add the multiplier. I wish I had it for the earlier parts of this project. It’s massive.

Here’s the rest, . It’s a model of an 1800s Bourbon distillery that will be created on my O’gauge model railroad.