Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hello, my name is Mitchell Yao and i am a chinese living in Sydney, Australia. recently i been using Sketchup Free making my first ever City that is my suburb that took 5 months from March to July and i am going to put finishing torches to it and publish some photos online.

1 Like

Hello My name is Alyce Johnson, I have been using SketchUp for over10 years. I’ve been using SketchUp primarily for Architectural. I just opened the doors of my Graphic’s Design & Consulting firm in Camden, NJ in February 2020, with the vision of utilizing Sketchup Pro/ Layout for all of my drafting needs. I do know AutoCAD but definitely prefer Sketchup.

I am looking forward to contributing to the SketchUp Community as well as learning.
Happy SketchUpping!!

2 Likes

Hi,
My name is Andrew.
I have been using Sketchup occasionally for more than 10 years.
Using it for personal use; design chicken coop, house addition, a garage, solar panel installation, …
I am certainly not an expert , since I use it from time to time.
Currently, I wan to build a small garage and going to evaluate solar system installation.

Andrew

1 Like

My name is Vi. I am a very part time user of Sketchup. I mainly use REVIT. Some of my clients are now sending me sketchup files to start their projects with. When I use Insert, Import CAD and select the sketchup file, REVIT tells me it can not open the file. Any ideas on how I can use the sketchup files that my clients are sending me?

I haven’t tried for a while, but I think that Revit doesn’t support the latest SketchUp file format. You could try saving them in an older version format (2015 or 2017, for instance).

You could have started a separate thread with your question.

Hi folks, Dominic here. I’m a n00b.

I downloaded SketchUp yesterday. I have the freeware version, but I don’t know what year and can’t figure out how to find it. Presumably that would be 2020. It’s running on a Win10 machine with Intel 620 graphics

My purpose in joining is, of course, to ask questions. My first one-- yes, they told me not to ask questions here, but I am going to anyway-- is why the heck don’t you get a manual with software any more, or at least have one online? I could probably figure most of this out myself if I had a reference.

And my purpose in downloading SketchUp is for 3D CAD design. I finally bit the bullet and bought a router. Now I have to figure out how to use it, and the first step is drawing. I am, in accordance with the advice I have been given, going to try several different packages. This one is my first. I have some experience with 2D design in the AutoCAD system, but this is my first time in 3D.

Anyway, thanks for having me. I’m off to see if I can figure out how to switch between wireframe and solid body views.

Seeya!

Welcome.

Software (not just SketchUp) hasn’t come with manuals for a long time. There is online help available. See https://help.sketchup.com/en There are also videos on the SketchUp You Tube channel and guided instruction here: https://learn.sketchup.com/ In addition, there’s a whole lot of people who are members here who are happy to help answer your questions if you just ask.

Thank you. I know. I’m just too old skool to like it :slight_smile:

Welcome! The best bet is go through the basics (Learn.sketchup noted above) and try all the menu items and tools (Not that many). Then just ask questions here when you’re stuck.

Hi,

I’m stu. beginner. hobbyist. using sketchup to create solid that I can export as stl for my 3d printer.

Thanks for letting me join.

1 Like

Hola, soy Rodrigo, vivo en Colombia, estudio diseño. Soy principiante en SketchUp. Lo utilizo de manera personal y aspiro a usarlo profesionalmente. Me gusta SketchUp porque es muy fácil su uso, es preciso y puedes hacer cualquier cosa con sus herramientas. Tengo computadora con Windows 10, con AMD Radeon R3 Graphics. Cordial saludo Chicos !!!

2 Likes

· Who are you? Ellen

· What is your industry and profession? Furniture maker/woodworker

· Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Yes, I intend to

· Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…) don’t know yet but so far looks very promising

· How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? Very beginner

· Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Nope

· What is your current set up? [Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.] (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) MAC IOS Mojave; Free web Sketchup

· Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? nope

· Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…) I live in Belgium

· What is your favorite Emoji? LOL

· Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Sometimes

1 Like

Hi, my name is JPCodaLot.

• What is your industry and profession? Software devoment
  • Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? Personally
  • Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Concept
  • How proficient are you in SketchUp? advanced
  • Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? No, but I have watched some online
  • What is your current set up? Windows SketchUp 2017
  • Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? My Extensions page
1 Like

Hello Brenda here, I’m on the trial version of Sketchup Pro right now. I’m a photographer, teacher, workshop leader, author, speaker and wanderluster! Beginner in Sketchup, learning as I go. Have a build layout already on graph paper but want to put it to the test.

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :slight_smile::

1 Like

Hi all. BRAND NEW to CAD and all that. I have a background in publishing so I’m comfortable with 2D but this 3D is whole 'nother thing. Glad to be here.

1 Like

I’m the guy who is locked out of trimble and sketchup when I am on a timeline to get this project done. Somehow I am logged into here. What is going on with these usernames and passwords? I’ve been using sketchup for 5 Years and now I’m locked out and extremely frustrated. Nice to meet all of you!!!

Hello All…Jonathan here. As a Mechanical Engineer I spent several years in aircraft propulsion system design and then switched careers and spent many more years and several countries later in facilities engineering and construction in the semiconductor industry. Recently I decided to leave the corporate life and pursue Sprinter van conversions.

I have been surrounded by AutoCAD my entire life but when I decided to start doing my projects myself I found SketchUp to be much more intuitive and easier to model.
I have used SketchUp primarily as a hobbyist doing cabinetry design but now applying that to van conversions and modeling the layout, plumbing, electrical, etc.

I still consider myself a novice but I believe I have the basics down. I would like to manufacturer some component designs via CNC so hopefully can learn how to do that here.

Cheers!

Hi there! I’m a Landscape Designer and love using SketchUp but am having some technical issues that I’m hoping I can get help with. Sketch Up support is quite bad so hoping my fellow users can be of help.

Hi.

I am a Student learning ID with IDI Australia. I am up to my Module where you have to create Floor Plans. I also bought the Advanced SketchUp Module to help with that.

I am, however losing my mind with SU. I have watched tons of videos, am subscribed to a few YouTube Channels and still keep doing things that I don’t know how to fix and I can’t find any help.

I am hoping that I will learn much here and become an expert at SU.

Regards Glenda

1 Like