Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hi!

My name is Slavapalooza. Family man with 2 boys and a lovely wife. We are homeowners with a desire to design and remodel our home. I design any proposed changes in our house in Sketchup Make to help us visualize. It’s a powerful tool that’s easy for me to understand…most of the time. My mostly amateur CAD background was preceded by table top drafting (in the 90’s) and includes MiniCAD (old Mac program), AutoCad, Revit and now Sketchup, which I started using around 2008. I have a B.S. in Construction Management and am a Project Management Professional (PMP), so I have decent understanding of how the building components combine to form the remodeled space and translate from a design model. I also perform a majority of the hands on construction myself with years of trade experience as a carpenter and brick mason.

I’ve imported the model of our home I created in Revit into Sketchup several years ago, and make most of my tweaks to the home in that single model. There are some limitations, in my view with Make that are probably overcome with an upgrade to a Pro license, or expanded understanding. I always find myself searching for those little tools from AutoCad like trim and extend. Sometimes I find it difficult to isolate a specific area to work on (like a small room within the house), which is why I am at this forum! I’ve visited here several times over the years, but decided to make myself less anonymous and will contribute where I can. Sometimes, it will be many months in between design sessions, so having access to this community is great for a quick refresher.

Thank you to admins for setting up and moderating this forum, and to the other community members for your contributions! I hope to continue to learn and begin contributing.

2 Likes

I am TL Rosser, CEO of Special By Design LLC.
www.specialbydesignllc.com

1 Like

I am an artist who wants to use sketchup for quasicrystals. My plan is to show how the subassemblies can be made up from the two basic building blocks, and how the 4 main sub assemblies can be infinitely combine to make large scale 3D quasicrystal, for use in architecture, art, and math. I know the geometry, and I am sure, after watching the tutorials, that SketchUp is the 3d modeler for the job. I am in zip 12076 and would appreciate a tutor who I can pay.

My first task is to make a rhombus, 500 mm on edge, with acute angles of 63.44 degrees.

Thanks Tony

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: SketchUp for 3D printing?

Who are you, who, who?

What is your industry and profession?
I inspect communication towers and own a small business in which we inspect just about any structure that supports radio, TV or cellular antennas.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
There is an incredible amount of help in the form of tutorials, skill building exercises and this here forum. I’m able to learn at my own pace and find solutions to troubles I experience. Overall, the SU community seems friendly and supportive.

How proficient are you in SketchUp?
Beginner. Definitely a beginner.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
Yep, I went to the 2016 3D Basecamp.

What is your current set up?
Sketchup 2016 Pro on a Thinkpad P70 with a NVIDIA Quadro M3000M 4GB graphics card.

2 Likes

Who are you, who, who? Jeffrey Johnson
What is your industry and profession? Remodeling Contractor
Where do you use SketchUp? Professionally
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? Designing in 3D
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, a real beginner
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? Nope
What is your current set up? Computer type, MacBook Pro SketchUp Pro 2016 V 16.1.1451

1 Like

Good day folks,

I have been using Sketchup for a few years, I am a project manager / estimator / salesman / husband and grandpa. I work with commercial and industrial clients to prepare preliminary designs for new buildings and properties. Sketchup has made the process a whole lot easier than trying to sketch with pencils.

Recently my company needed some custom brackets to support a roof structure. I sketched up the design in 3D, sent the sketches to a welding fabrication shop and the brackets worked out wonderfully.

My next challenge is to import terrain and do a preliminary design on a baseball training facility.

I’m working on a Windows 7 pc with an I7 processor, lots of ram and Sketchup 2015 Pro.

Long walks on the beach are nice but a motorcycle ride on a 2 lane county road in the cool of a sunny morning can’t be beat. Or better yet playing with my grandkids anywhere is the best.

2 Likes

I am new to 3D design. Have tried many softwares, and SketchUp seems to be the fastest (and easiest) to learn.
But, it seems that there are to much limitations for my mind… I have a huge project of housing construction that don’t use regular angles. I registered to see if I can have help to my numerous (very interesting :wink: projects.

1 Like

Hola, Mi nombre es Miguel tengo 54 años, por muchos años dibuje con estilografos, luego con excel, poco autocad, se me hizo muy intuitivo el manejo de este programas y seguiremos adelante, saludos a todos,

una pregunta como trazo un terreno con medidas irregulares, o una poligonal trazada con diversos rumbos hasta cerrar la poligonal, gracias

1 Like

como haces un trazo de unpoligono irregula

1 Like

My name is Jacques.
I am a semi retired architect.
I have been a Sketchup user for about 3 months and I think it is terrific . I would say I am somewhere between a beginner and advanced level user. I use a Mac, El Capitan about 3 years old.
I find that this forum is very helpful and am always happy to see that others have had the same problems that I have had in the past (good for self esteem). I also think that the answers are very very helpful.
This being said, I would like to contribute by saying that I installed the new Sierra op. system before I saw your comments on it and it was a disaster for Sketchup. I had to have a computer technician remove it. I have also had very bad experiences with Dibac, and although at first their support for my problems were good they soon stopped responding . Bottom line, I have not been able to use it in spite of having paid 69 pounds for it. I don’t believe it is ready yet for public use .
I hope some of this is helpful to someone.

1 Like

You seem to be a very spiritual person. Good for you. I am certain that the sensitivity you have will go a long way in helping you to be a very good landscape designer.

1 Like

My name is James (Jim) McGlumphy. I am an architect with Parks/Player Architecture in Greenville, South Carolina. We have had SketchUp Pro for almost a year now. I have used it infrequently and the bosses are ready to make a commitment to more 3D involvement. Hoping to unlock some of SketchUp’s potential for our application.

1 Like

Hi
I am Firmino Meireles, architect and designer.
I work alone using Sketchup professionally because it friendly way
I think my knowledge will be of intermediate level
Living in Portugal is not easy to go to 3DBase Camp … and I didn’t
I work in a desktop with Sketchup 2016 Pro
I don’t have a page in the warehouse (sorry, i would like but don’t know how) and i do my render’s with V Ray
My hobbies are to make FM radio programs, volunteering in my land (county?) and learn about other cultures / countries.

1 Like

Steve Ellison, in Atlanta GA. I’m not really new to the Forum; I’m just getting back into SketchUp after several years- trying to catch up with the latest and learn some old tricks I never mastered…

1 Like

Guessing from your location that you may have got an architecture degree at Clemson. I did that many years ago, before they taught any useful stuff (AutoCAD, Revit, etc.) Just got back into SketchUp after several years- love it as a tool for developing and detailing concepts! Best to sell it to your bosses as more intuitive, user-friendly, and much quicker than AutoCAD, IMHO. 'Course, there’s lots more that those apps can do, that SketchUp can’t touch. Best of luck, and Go Tigers. (…you could have gone to Auburn, too, but if you did it at Georgia Tech, I’m sorry if I’ve offended you.)

1 Like

Hi,
I want to start learning SketchUp, but I have an old iMac with OS10.7.5, which isn’t compatible with ScketchUp 16.
Is there a way to find (and where?) an older revision of ScketchUp so that I can work on it?

Ram Noham
Israel

1 Like

Hi, I am Igal (pronounced like eagle, only with “a” between “g” and “l”).

In day-to-day life I am a electronics hardware engineer (chip architect) in this Sketchup thing has no connection to my day job.

So why am I here? Well, because I have all kinds of ideas floating in my head that demand prototype manifestation, e.g. some specialy designed teaspoon. And the most interesting way to try those ideas is by 3D printing them.
So I am here to try and learn how to design 3d printing oriented models in Sketchup.

BEfore coming here I did some googling, watched some tutorials on YouTube, but… the main problem was that all of them talked of either simple forms (cube rectangle etc) or more architecture oriented designs. While I need to know how to make small curved surfaces and shapes (imagine a teas spoon - that kind of things).

So the following days and weeks I will be reading the forum and probably asking questions, I do promise to try not to be a nudge.

Cheers
I.

2 Likes

hello eh :maple_leaf:

1 Like

Hi, I am Bob Hillman.
Retired electrical engineer specialized in analog circuit design.
I use sketchup in my woodworking hobby to model woodworking projects.
Most projects are toys intended for charitable contribution.
I am probably beginner level now but I think sketchup can help view project designs to achieve good proportions and realistic looks.
Setup is a windows 10 Intel I7 laptop.

2 Likes