Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

Hello my name is Gildas, I live in France. I am a cabinetmaker and also a teacher of Sketchup :slight_smile:
As a cabinetmaker my website is http://www.atelier-gildas.fr/
As a teacher my website is https://metiers3d.wordpress.com/
I use Sketchup Make from v6 and SketchUp Pro from v.2013
I think I am a good user of Make version. I use Pro version with Layout, but I never used style builder or build dynamic component.
I use SketchUp on a mac laptop. And also on pc when I teach
I really like using sketchup :slight_smile: I do not know any other 3D software :confused:
My favorite seasons are spring :ear_of_rice: and autumn :fallen_leaf:

1 Like

Hi my name is Tim and I am new to Sketchup, I am learning about Sketchup because I work on a Help Desk for a company that has many employee’s that use Sketchup Pro

1 Like

Who are you, who, who?
Hello my name is Gideon and I am 13 years old

What is your industry and profession? Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? I only use SketchUp for my own little projects

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?
Hmm, I use it for many things, Modeling house plans (nothing professional) making little parts I use in real life, and much more, as for favorite tool, I really don’t know, I love the “Follow me” tool, so I would have to go with that :slight_smile:

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? I am intermediate, I am semi new to SketchUp and really enjoy using it.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp? I have not gone to SketchUp 3D Basecamp but I plan to do that sometime in the future

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.509 (Your lake house and Ferrari don’t count) Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us? I currently have a HP Pavillion Laptop 12 GB Memory, 1 TB Storage, with a Acer 25" monitor 2k Res, I have recently gotten SketchUp Pro 2016 and am using that

Anything else you would like to tell us? I have modeled several different things I needed and one day decided to print out, and my parents still use a iPhone stand I made and looked like a High Heeled Shoe, If you want to see some more interesting stuff I have made with SketchUp you can check out my Instagram Account @ buildsbygideon

What is your favorite Emoji? Probably the Winky face, I use it too much :wink:

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…? Oh yes! I could be there for hours

1 Like

Hi, I’m Charlie Pinneo. I’m a retired music teacher. I teach two classes of SketchUp at Woodcraft in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I have been using SketchUp for about nine years but have never gotten into advanced design. But I can get around OK with almost all of the SketchUp tools. Last night I discovered a bunch of far out stair designs in Google Images. So I’m thinking of making stairs for my garage to get up into the attic of the garage. I think I can make the stairs out of cheap plywood rather than buying a fold down aluminum ladder which costs too much.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Feedback on the forum

Now that this issue is over (there should be an option like on other forums to chose styles) I’ll introduce this old curmudgeon the right way.

In the real world I’m a construction consultant and home inspector and I recently discovered sketchup after using Chief Architect and various other CADs since the early 90s. As a matter of fact I’ve been using computers since the days of punched cards and FORTRAN WATFIV (Waterloo Fortran IV) back in the 70s…

Looking forward to discover new tricks (who said old dogs can’t learn new tricks) and share some as well.

All the best!

1 Like

My name is David Soto and I am an Agronomist working a small Landscape Irrigation business in Puerto Rico and have recently been offered the opportunity to design some large area systems. I have used the free version of SketchUp and although I have had to struggle a little to develop drawings, I see great potential. I read somewhere that I could import DWR drawings and work on top of them. Is this true? I have not visited 3DBasecamp since I am barely starting out in 2D. I work on a MacBook Pro 13" Late 2012 and am inclined towards purchasing SketchUp Pro 2016 if I can make it work for me in Irrigation design. I have tried to open Layout and always end up in SketchUp free version. I live close to the beach and do like long walks. Love nature and do a lot of drawing with pen and pencil…
:eyeglasses:

1 Like

Hi or as I should say, G’day. I’m a student landscaper with a background in Environmental Science. I grew up & live on the North Coast of N.S.W., Australia. I enjoy surfing, sailing, spearfishing, soccer, a bit of bike riding & unfortunately no longer own a skateboard. Gotta fix that. Used to work for Hobie Cat Aust., when younger & lucky enough to travel to U.S.A., Puerto Rico, Fiji, to work at World Title events setting up & repairing boats etc. Great days but got sick of the cold showers after work:-)

I mainly use SketchUp for landscaping & feel I’m now finally starting to get the hang of it, although I also realize the learning curve just keeps going up with CAD. Which I kinda like. After drawing things with pen & paper it certainly makes design work a lot more streamlined. That eraser tool is saving me fortune in actual erasers (or as we call them here in Oz, rubbers). Anyway, hopefully my SketchUp experience will be a positive one & you won’t be too annoyed by my noob questions.

Have a good one!
Steve

I am James, username: woodsplain_jw. I am a student at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Rockport, ME. I am enrolled in the 9-month Intensive Program that graduates June 2017. I am here with my family form CA. I am using SketchUp for my projects here at school

1 Like

Hello World

I am new to sketch up. Just getting started. Years ago I used Auto Cad mostly for personal stuff.
I do a fair amount of woodworking, furniture, cabinets, nic-naks and such.

By profession I am financial/software consultant. Could never make up my mind which.
So brand new to the tools, no widgets or 3d Warehouse as yet. Spend lots of time in tutorials.
Once I have some experience I can see lots of opportunities for Sketch Up.

Hope to get some ideas here.

Mac

1 Like

Good morning, been a sketchup user for the past 5 years, and I really enjoyed the freedom to draw.

Thanks Google Sketchup :slight_smile:

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Clarifying “Google” SketchUp

Good evening,
My name is Joe
I am fairly new to sketchup 2016 Pro, but fascinated. Only about 4 months but getting the hang of it.
I work in the oil and gas industry. deal mainly with piping.
I have downloaded a couple of extension that are pipe specific and wow.
I will try to not ask to many dumb questions.
have a great day

1 Like

I’m 63 and my first computer was Commodore Vic20 - long. long ago. I am using Sketchup for woodworking purposes (educated as a cabinetmaker) and for fun. My main hobby is composing music.
I only use it as a hobby. Currently out of job, not professionelly. I attended a 3D-animation course in 1990, one scene took 24 hours to render. So I was very happy when Sketchup came matured.
I must see myself as beginner (on/off for a couple of years)
For the moment I have an Acer Aspire 5741z - 64 bit and about 6 years old with 8GB ram and an ekstra monitor (24")
The printer is Canon Pixma 5700
I am also playing around with my Pentax K20 and for handling photos I use my old trusted Paint Shop Pro 8, Picasa and RawTherapy.
For the computerNerds: after Vic 20 I got Amstrad, then Atari (2 versions) before pushed into a PC.
RAM succession: 3Kb - 42Kb - 1Mb - 4Mb - 2Gb - 4Gb - 8Gb
Processor succession: 0,75mHz - 1,7mHz - 4mHz - 32mHz - 400mHz - 1,8GHz

1 Like

memories… I started at Sinclair ZX spectrum 16k and later C128 (mostly C64 mode) - hence my Icon…favorite game back then.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m Hal. I’m on the faculty of the State University of New York, and I do research and teach in the area of visual perception. I’ve been using SketchUp 2014, which I have on an instructor’s licence, for a few years, on both the Windows and Mac platform, to develop 3D visual displays for my research and also for my teaching. I need quantitative control and replicability in all my displays, as well as the ability to generate multiple displays with small systematic variations, so all of my displays are created using Ruby scripts and the SketchUp API rather than the GUI.

I work on my own (there are no other SketchUp users in my department), and I’ve gotten lots of helpful information from reading forums, but I haven’t joined one before. I’m looking forward to more active participation in the future. I expect to be asking more questions than I answer, but who knows–maybe I have a little experience that might be helpful to someone else.

1 Like

Thank you Sketchup team and people who made wonderful plugins. You help me to stay in my job for a decade. I have a lot of beautiful memories with you, from a small house to a huge city master plan, from a robot rendering for my child to a rich of detail BIM at work, from some quick sketches to real products. Yes, I love Sketchup.

Minh Nguyen

3 Likes

Hello, I’m posting to introduce myself. My name is Lawrence. I graduated from architecture school in 1990 and started a custom lighting company in Berkeley California in 1993. I want to use SketchUp to build 3D models of lighting fixtures and buildings. I just started looking at tutorials about a month ago. I love the work of Antonio Gaudi in Barcelona and similar buildings. I’m a proponent of sustainable design. And I promote organic architecture with lighting fixtures that fit their environments as if they were created together. I’m mostly using a MacBook Pro with a 3 button mouse, and learning SketchUp Make. I’ll probably purchase Pro after I get proficient. I’ve only drawn one simple custom chandelier so far and just uploaded it to 3D warehouse under the fairly generic name of 6-arm uplit chandelier, Metro Lighting.

1 Like

Hi folks, I’m Dave and have been a sketchup user for around 10 years. I’m an Architectural Designer. Sketch Up has been very important to me in my work. The ability to portray 3D is invaluable. I currently use an HP 17 inch with 12 gigs of mem., and a terrabyte of hard drive.

1 Like

You’re wonderful~

1 Like