Welcome to our forums! Please introduce yourself :)

[quote=“SketchUpTeam, post:1, topic:6944”]
Who are you, who, who?[/quote]
Hi, my name is Tina. Sorry, no picture (except for my profile).

What is your industry and profession?
I voluntarily left the world of standard work. As I am versatile enough, I negotiate my know-how or I trade, I exchange. It works much better and I am no-stress.

Where do you use SketchUp?
I use SketchUp personally, at home. I want to build my tiny house.

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (Besides using it to impress the babes/bros…)
To impress the bros, I do not use SketchUp (sorry), I climb on my trail and I start the bike.

How proficient are you in SketchUp?
I am totally beginner.

Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?
No … What is it, bushcraft?.. ^^

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.
I’m on Mac 10.7.5, with SketchUpMake-2014.

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?
Yes, a blog but nothing to do with graphics.

Anything else you would like to tell us?
No, I’m a kind of unusual woman: I do not talk much about me. But if you have trouble falling asleep and you want me to tell you a story, it is possible.

What is your favorite Emoji?
My cat.

Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?
I prefer deep forests. And mushrooms to crabs.

Thank you, and have a nice, nice day.

1 Like

Hi.
Jabberwox is my nickname because my real name also begins with J, which is Jaak. This is an Estonian name like myself.
I teach SketchUp and AutoCAD in a small company in Tallinn, Estonia called Usesoft. I use SketchUp for teaching, of course, and for generating exercises for my classes. Besides that I use it for training myself, just to keep skills up-to-date. I just discovered the wonderful world of quad modeling, particularly on the basis of the Artisan extension. My goal is to push SketchUp to our Academy of Arts to be taught to interior design students, because it really is very easy and intuitive to learn and use compared to AutoCAD. The results come very quickly and it is really fun to work with it.
I eagerly wait for my.Sketchup to develop to a proper tool. Keep going!

1 Like

Gracias por la bienvenida. Mi nombre es Jhon Garcia y trabajo para una empresa que presta servicios en ingeniería e instalaciones eléctricas https://www.iieingenieria.com , nos gustaria empezar a trabajar con sketchup por eso decidi unirme a este foro para conocer mas acerca de este programa, que se ve genial. Gracias

1 Like

Hi Folks,
I am a new user to Sketchup. I am a long time woodworker and do all my home improvements myself. My main design tool has been Coreldraw and I am reasonably competent with it within my own uses. However, I wanted a 3D tool and came across Sketchup on Matthias Wandel’s Youtube channel.

2 Likes

Who are you, who, who? Steve Rundquist, Bellvue, CO
What is your industry and profession? timber framer
Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally? professionally
Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? great way to express ideas with client
How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced? intermediate? have been using since about 2008. still got a lot to learn
Have you gone to a SketchUp 3DBasecamp?no
What is your current set up? macbbok pro, sketch up 2016, macOS Sierra
Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like t
o link to or show off to us?www.timberframes.net
Anything else you would like to tell us? (e.g., you once saw a UFO & tried to model it in SketchUp to get a prototype 3D printed…)
What is your favorite Emoji? whats’s yours?
Do you enjoy long walks on the beach…?really long walk to the beach from Colorado so no… not so much

1 Like

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites :smiley: — to start, just one photo if you please )
I’m Denny Thury, in Parker, Colorado

I am a retired I.T. Professional

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?
I use SketchUp Make for personal projects

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it? (
I use SketchUp to design and develop the conceptual as well as the details of my woodworking hobby.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
I consider myself at an intermediate skill level

No, and probably never will

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.515
I have SketcuUP Make 2017 on a Windows 10 PC w/ 12 GB memory. I am considering migrating to a MAC sometime next year.

1 Like

Homble designer) Try on 3DMAx and SolidWorks.

1 Like

Thanks to forum admins for the site!

1 Like

My name his Mario St-Maurice
Création Modulaflex, created and design fast assembly
furniture for depanneur and others.
it is now more than 6 years I use Sketchup Pro and now the 2017
Personnally and Professionnal. I’m and avanced
Is easy and fast to use Sketchup Pro, Layout for everything we built.
6 years ago I take like 40 to 60 ours to design and prepare the drawing
to go on cnc. Now in about in hour everything it’s on production.
All the presentation for the customers and the tech sheet for the production
are so easy to do and so fast.
I have a 3D warehouse that I share a couple of thing that help others
I work with Wood, Metal, Plastic and more and each one of those are
so much easy with sketchup and the precision top nuch lollll
Otside of design create, i’m a personnal coach.
I would like to be a trimble teacher, because around here in quebec, Canada
we don’t have . Be nice and keep smiling
Thanks for every one works on Sketchup.

1 Like

Hi All,

User Name: TropicalGuyCns I reside in Far North Queensland, Australia. a little place called Tinaroo. I’m a retired builder and my current hobby is Woodworking and Wood Turning. I have recently installed SU 2017 Pro , so I;m a novice user. My use for SU 2017 Pro will be to design projects for my workshop and to design a new home.

My computer is a new HP Desktop with a 26"screen, ( nice and big for these old eyes!!) running Windows 10. ( 64 bit.)

As stated I’m a novice user and still finding my way around the system, so I’m sure I will be a constant visitor to these pages.

Thanks in advance for the help that I’m sure will be asked for.

Regards,
TropicalGuyCns.

2 Likes

If your work with SketchUp is indeed only for non-commercial hobbyist work, you may want to consider SketchUp Make instead of Pro (assuming you haven’t paid yet). Especially so if you don’t anticipate using Layout (included with Pro, but not with Make). The license cost of Pro is fairly steep for a hobbyist.

1 Like

I have paid for SU 2017 Pro.

Regards,
TropicalGuyCns.

1 Like

Mike
I was designing kitchens using 2020 for last nine years. Retired. Have used SU at home for fun for as long.a time.
I love 3D capabilities and fact that it is free.Like warehouse too.
I use it to design houses, tiny homes and even tree houses.I specialize in timber frame designs.I am close to intermediate I suppose, considering how long I have used it. Not attended Basecamp.
Using HP Core i5 laptop with 17" screen.2017 Make.
I don’t have a page but I did put up a model I made of the Wright’s Fallingwater Guest House.
I would like to network/meet with other users in the Scottsdale area to share ideas. Would LOVE to work from home a couple hours a day using SU but don’t know if such a thing exists.
i don’t do EMOJIs; I take long walks on the treadmill.

1 Like

Howdy. My name is Woody Stanford. I’m by trade a Soft. Eng. but am disabled these days, but gives me the freedom to pursue a lot of projects I’ve been waiting to do. I’ve been working on two suborbital spacecraft designs (in traditional 2D) and thought I would expand to 3D somehow. I’m hoping that Sketch Up has the features I need to further my own dreams.

I still don’t know if Sketch Up is what I’m looking for. Its already asking for a hotter graphics card and I’m more used to AutoCAD, but of course AutoCAD takes money. I just need to find a tool that will help me produce parts for prototyping, 3D printing and maybe animations that I can put on my site.

To see where I’m at, check out my site at http://woodystanford.wordpress.com and you can kind of see the level that I’m working at (mainly traditional 2D drafting techniques).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I’m not good at this kind of thing so I’ll use your template…

Who are you, who, who? (show us those pearly whites :smiley: — to start, just one photo if you please )

You asked for it.

Okay, nuts and bolts: I’m 56 years old. 9 years ago they gave me two years to live. I’ve got two tumors in my brain that seem to come and go as they please. This has caused a variety of symptoms that often change. I have acute sensitivity to sight and sound that pretty much keeps me housebound. I have the memory retention of a deranged squirrel but tons of time on my hands.

My neurologist thought it would be a good idea to try to learn something complex to try to build new neural pathways and to help fill up my time. So several months ago I started out to tackle SketchUp. It has been very challenging as for everything I learn I seem to forget something as well. But slowly I am crafting notes that are making it easier for me to find the info to remind me how to do something.

I have just one project but it is huge and I can work on it until the twins eventually take me down.

Once upon a time I was a systems analyst (back when mainframes roamed the land)

Where do you use SketchUp? Personally/professionally?

Theraputically :slight_smile:

Why do you use SketchUp and what is your favorite thing about it?

Covered the why above. My favor thing is the creating. I have this idea in my head and slowly (3 steps forward, 2 back) it is coming to life. The fact that I foresee that I could tweak it forever is a great bonus.

How proficient are you in SketchUp? Beginner, intermediate, advanced?

I didn’t start with an organized approach nor learn in any linear way. So I’d say I’m lower intermediate with huge gaps in my knowledge and who has to work incredibly slowly or things go horribly awry.

I do not know what that is.

What is your current set up? Computer type, SketchUp version…etc.

I’m pretty sure I entered all that here somewhere. Right now I don’t remember other than I’m using Make 2017 on Windows 10. It’s a dual monitor system with some power under the hood and an obscene amount of storage space.

Do you have a 3D Warehouse page with your models, Extensions, or a website you would like to link to or show off to us?

Nope. And I haven’t felt comfortable uploading anything I’ve done. My best work is modifications and combinations of other peoples work from the warehouse. Uploading those doesn’t seem right. And everything I’m proud of seems so clunky in a month as I learn more.

Anything else you would like to tell us?

Don’t put things off. Enjoy life in the moment.

Also I can’t figure out the questions for 90% of the things I want to know. Then where to ask them? I’ll must likely lurk a lot.

I’ve nothing but time and as you can see rather verbose. So feel free to message.

6 Likes

Hi, I’m Robert Guice

I work for the State of New Jersey, Department of Banking & Insurance, I suppose I am considered a grunt. Not management, not supervisory type.
I am rapidly approaching 70 and a wannabe woodworker of sorts.
While putzing around with various woodworking projects, trying to learn by doing, it occurred to me its time to learn how to plan and draw these projects to avoid wasting so much good hardwood. So I am a step or two below novice but inspired to learn how to use Sketchup 2017.
So I am a personal Sketchup user. At this point, I hope to become a beginning user.
Have not gone to SketchUp 3DBasecamp. Not really familiar with the Basecamp.
Currently using a Windows 10 computer and Sketchup 2017.
I do not have a 3D warehouse page, I have not created anything yet.
For now I am interested in reading posts, explore categories and get the hang of the software.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi Everyone, My name is Sam

I work in the Theme Park and Attractions industry.

I use SketchUp almost everyday to design new rides and attractions for a large theme park company.

I use SketchUp because of its ease of use and ability to integrate it into other formats.

I am what you might say almost an advanced user.

I do most of my SketchUp designs on a Mac Pro laptop.

1 Like

Howdy. I am a retired civil engineer and avid woodworker. I use SketchUp to design furniture pieces that I eventually build. I consider myself as an intermediate user. SketchUp is a great tool getting a preview of the final design and it allows me to determine accurate dimensions. The Xray feature is great for making sure the hidden parts of joints are correctly dimensioned. Accuracy is very important before one starts sawing expensive wood.

I am using an Asus 17.5 in gaming laptop with an Itell i7 CPU and Nvidia Geforce GTX 750M GPU. I also have a HDMI cable connected 24 inch Dell monitor. This system make using SketchUp a real pleasure.

I am self-taught in using SketchUp…meaning reading a book, watching SketchUp tutorials and generally spending hours making mistakes 'till I get it. At 76 I often have to go back and relearn what I had learned several month ago.

1 Like

My name is Don and I’m hooked on 3D; have been for many years ever since being involved with the early development of VRML. I’ve been out of it for a number of years but, since a recent spinal cord injury has left me in a power wheelchair, I find my means of expression a bit restricted as I only have limited use of my hands.

I’ve always been a model builder and have been using 3D studio Max and POV-Ray for various categories of model building including: medical modeling, engineering modeling, architectural modeling and cosmological modeling. I recently discovered SketchUp and been quite impressed especially the real-time rendering.

I have a Dell XLS 18 all-in-one computer with Windows 10 and SketchUp 2017 it has an Intel HD 4400 graphics processor and eight gig of RAM. I currently have it running with V Ray beta 3.4.

I have a few of my images done with POV-Ray available (http://www.consciousnesscreatesmatter.com) if you want to check it out.

1 Like

Hi! Folks, my handle is “gwapoguy” and I am a beginner in this endeavor.
I am running Win 10 computer that is maxed out with memory and storage.
I have a Ultimaker 2 printer and am on the learning curve.
My primary interest is in custom parts for radio controlled aircraft, so I will be working in small scale.
I expect to visit here often as I need a lot of help!
Thanks!

1 Like