Observations, answers, and/or advice are most welcome - if you have any. Please, I would appreciate no ranting about the subscription model or otherwise, thank you!
I find myself in an unenviable position which, I am sure, applies to quite a few other people with license expiry dates after Nov 4:
- My 2020 M&S expires forever tomorrow Nov 26 at midnight.
- I have my 2021 license with Classic Pro SU2021.0 at the ready, but I haven’t authorized it yet since, according to the SU website, the moment I authorize 2021 in my computer I will not be able to authorize my 2020 license in any other computer - it will be gone for good.
- Also, after emailing with sales extensively, I have been told that I won’t have access to any patches that might be released for SU2021.0 as I will not have M&S any more. I won’t get the patches even with a subscription, as Classic and Subscription are two completely separate offerings.
- So, it is very likely that if I authorize 2021 on my only computer, I will be left with a possibly-glitchy SU2021.0 and will lose a stable SU2020.2 forever when I move to a new computer.
My SU2020.2 is very stable for my needs (extensions, SpaceMouse) but SU2021.0 has nested tags, saved files seem to be significantly smaller in size, etc. which make it attractive. Ideally, and for the time being, I would like to authorize 2021 in my computer so I can keep both licenses until I made sure SU2021.0 is at least as stable as SU2020.2
- Can I do the above within the 30 day grace period after my 2020 M&S expires tomorrow, and does the 30 day grace period still exist now that M&S is no more?
- If I authorize the 2021 license in my existing computer and find SU2021.0 too glitchy, can I de-authorize 2021 and revert to (downgrade, re-authorize) 2020.2 so I can eventually move it to a new computer. If I can de-authorize 2021/re-authorize 2020, is there a time limit in which this is allowed?
In case I am missing something, or my logic is plain faulty, what would you do in my case: stick with 2020.2 or update to 2021.0 knowing the above constraints?
Thanks for any insight.