Upgrade review help wanted

Hi All

I am looking to upgrade my Desktop after 3-4 years of use.
Current spec

• i7-4790K @ 4.00 GHZ
  • 16 GB DRR3
  • Nvidea Geforce GTX 970
  • Windows 10 home
  • SSD + multiple SATA HDD

Whilst I use for work and for play, I am questioning if I will get an advantage if I do upgrade.
At the moment considering upgrading to

• i7 > i9
  • 16 DRR3 > 32 DRR4
  • new Graphics card

But for example, if Sketchup runs off a single core, then would I be worse off going from i7-4790K @ 4.00 GHZ to a Core™ i9-10900K which runs at 3.70GHz?

The 10900 is a lot faster than the 4790.
5.3ghz on turbo plus its 6 generations newer…so a lot more efficient.
RAM wont make too much difference to SU unless you find your system is above 80% RAM utilisation with 16gb.
GTX 970 is still pretty good for sketchup so a rtx 2070 Super (for example) wont be a radical improvement but it will be noticeable on large models and at higher resolutions like 4k.

I guess I would question whether you need the 10900 or if a 10700 would be okay. The 10900 is about 9% faster but you may not actually notice that in SU very often.

You could also try overclocking the 4790k since sketchup will respond very well to an extra 300mhz or so.

2 Likes

Overall, I guess that the difference in SketchUp performance wouldn’t be mind-shattering.
Here is a comparison chart of the CPUs from the PassMark pages:

Combined with a RTX graphics card like @AK_SAM suggests, I would guess that it would be noticeably faster, but just that. The meaningful figures in SketchUp use are in the Single Thread ratings.
When using a modern rendering engine like V-ray or Enscape I would guess that the upgrade would be worthwhile as rendering usually supports multithreading and can also use your graphics card.

Thank you both for your thoughts… very useful