Updating a Group or Component in a Layer

I found out the hard way that one should create raw geometry in layer0, make it into a group or component and then move it to a different layer. After watching several tutorilals, what I can’t find out is how to update a group or component that has been moved to another layer. Do you move it back to layer0, update it, and move it back, do you create new raw geometry in layer0, make it into a new group or component, move it to the layer that contains the original group or component, and then some how combine them there, or there some other method?

Only the group is in the new layer. If you click into the group and open your entity info you’ll notice that the actual geometry in still in Layer 0. You don’t have to move the group out of the layer to change the geometry.

1 Like

As long as you keep Layer 0 active , whenever you open a component/group for editing the active layer will be layer 0.
Provided the existing geometry is on layer 0, any geometry you add will be on this same layer 0.

So no, you should not need to change the active layer or move the component/ group across layers.

“Only the group is in the new layer”. That’s a useful bit of knowledge. So, to make an update to a group in a layer other than layer0, make sure layer0 is active, double click the group, add/delete/update raw geometry, make the group inacitve( click outside of it), and Bob’s your uncle.

Layer 0 should always be active so you should not need to be chasing which layer is active. When you open a component or group for editing, the geometry should all be on Layer 0. If you add geometry or modify existing geometry in the group or component, you will be working on stuff that is on Layer 0.

Once you come to terms with leaving Layer 0 active at all times, you’ll find that your work load is decreased because you never have to worry about which layer you are working on.

How do you assign the groups/components to layers?

Select the group/instance, then Entity Info > Layer drop-down…

Ha! I we’re asking the OP as something about me tells me he isn’t doing it that way…

One issue to note is that if you Explode a group/instance, then its contents [geometry] will be assigned to the group/instance layer - rather than Layer0 - which is very awkward !
Look at my LayerWatcher - which helps you to always associate raw geometry with Layer0, reassign Layer0 to selected geometry/geometry within selected groups/instances, and Explode a container’s geometry to be assigned to Layer0…

3 Likes

Thorleyian, I was just recapping what I learned from your answers in my last reply. Prior to asking, I created the raw geometry in a layer other than layer0. At some point, I grouped it. My drawing ended up having the group in layer0 and the raw geometry outside of it. I fixed it by moving the layer contents back to layer0 and then moving only the group to it’s layer.

Yeah, that’s the root of many layer issues.

Another one…
I thought you might be changing the active layer to create the group, then changing it back to 0. At some point using a technique like that, you’d forget to change the layer and bad stuff starts to happen. But never mind anyway, I think I assumed wrongly in your case.

Recap again:
Keep layer 0 active all times.
Only assign groups/components to layers.
Assign layers to selected groups/components using entity info layer drop down.

Hope I helped.

If you install my ‘LayerWatcher’ it can but help…

See the link above…

It warns you if you are trying to change the active-layer away from Layer0 [you are warned but you can still do it].
[An observer]

It always ‘creates’ new native edges/faces on Layer0, irrespective of the active-layer.
[An Observer]

There are context-menu items, where…
It lets you reassign Layer0 to any selected geometry - or optionally, any geometry within selected groups/instances.
It lets you Explode a group/instance, whilst keeping any resultant edges/faces assigned to Layer0, rather than the native default of the layer of the previous ‘container’…

Don’t think of the group as being on a layer but think of the layer as being an attribute assigned to the group, similar to how materials can be assigned to object.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.