I’m curious about how you came up with the dimensions and shape of the bracket.
Coming from a Sage, that’s kind of a flattering question…
Once I had the three groups positioned (lid, outer ring and adaptor), I used Paste in Place on the surfaces I needed to connect.
From these, I push/pulled volumes and used the arc tool for trimming.
Feel free to ask for details, should this not be clear…
OK. So you didn’t have a bracket to measure from?
I’m following a YouTuber’s construction of a log cabin, and modelling by guess-timating dimensions from his videos. By using screen caps from many angles, I can get a pretty good sense of how complicated parts fit together.
This chimney cap was the thorniest part to get down, but I got there eventually.
Since I seem to remember we’re not allowed to post links here, I’ll point you to the site I’m working from, which is called “My Self Reliance”, by Shawn James. This maniac works without power tools…
I’m glistenUp in 3DWarehouse, where you can see the result of this, although the part we’re discussing isn’t yet included in the latest upload, titled Reliance log cabin. I’ve still got a few pieces to knock together before I make a final upload.
This description makes me think the issue is not with how the model geometry is constructed, but with how SketchUp renders models for viewing. Thin walls (such as sheet metal) will hide what touches or is in close proximity to their back surface when viewed from fairly close distances. But when zoomed further and further away, SketchUp will effectively visually collapse the two surfaces of the modeled wall and reveal other items that are on the far side of the wall. This is just how SketchUp draws models in the viewport. It is visually ugly and a bit disappointing, but does not represent anything amiss with the model geometry.
Yeah, I gave up threading bolts and making knurls for a somewhat similar behaviour in SU…
Putting small details close together makes them turn into black spots when viewed from afar.
You basically have to stick to a certain range of fineness of detail when building large and/or complex models.
I’ve been making detailed models (including somewhat threaded holes and some threaded fasteners) in SketchUp for a few years, and I’ve been happy enough. As an example see the following post:
One thing that can make SketchUp’s renderings really “fuzzy” is when the current Style has endpoints enabled. This places a small black X or cross at each and every endpoint in the model. With a threaded hole that might have 2000 endpoints in a small volume, the visual result can be a black blob. I never have endpoints enabled in the styles I use.
Neither do I…
I must admit I haven’t spent enough time exploring the possibilities of the “Styles” panel, nor played around with scenes or the fine points of component editing. SU is a lot of fun, but a bottomless pit once you get started.
Can’t wait to get back to working with Dynamic Components as well.
Nice work on the scooper-duper, by the way…
This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.