Unexpected behavior in double click selection

I noticed this while trying to select a face and edges inside a component. I often double click to select a face this way but when I tried in this configuration SU opened the group behind the face. The face and edges can be selected by selection box however. Easy enough to work around, but odd.

Note that double click selection works on loose geometry nearby.

Shep

You can double click one edge to prevent this behaviour.

I find this a lot; if the loose geometry lies on top of a group.component, then double-clicking to select the face and all connected edges of loose geometry will instead edit the underlying group.
I have 2 work-aroundā€™s I normally use:

• use a selection box - down side is that you can often select stuff you didnā€™t intend to.
  • hide the underlying group - down side is that itā€™s another three clicks to un-hide it again.

You could also select and move the underlying group away from the geometry (select move and type in a specific value - then itā€™s easy to move it back again by the same amount)

Or you could draw a line and make it into a group before adding in the loose geometry (so that when you are adding it, itā€™s already in a group and the double click will work to select as you expect)

SketchUp is trying to tell you make that loose Geometry into a component!

Probably, not intended behavior. But as @Cotty said, you can avoid it by clicking the edge[quote=ā€œgadget2020, post:3, topic:18003ā€]
hide the underlying group - down side is that itā€™s another three clicks to un-hide it again.
[/quote]

To add on this. you can do ā€œhide rest of modelā€ from View.

lol - thatā€™s what I am trying to do when double clicking: select it all to make it a group/component :slight_smile:

use ā€˜Lock/Unlockā€™ instead of ā€˜Hide/Un-hideā€™ for less clicksā€¦

john

1 Like