Turning off guides in Layout

I use guides often in SketchUp. But when I am working in Layout and see that I forgot to delete guides, it is such a hassle to open SketchUp again and delete the guides, then open Layout and reload the SketchUp file. It is even worse when I have one SketchUp drawing that is referenced into another SketchUp drawing which is then imported into Layout. Please tell me there is an easy way to turn off guides within Layout.

There might be a better way, but off the top of my head…

As per the DaveR method - a single modelling style in SU for the model.

Then have all your viewport styles in LO which would have guides turned off.

Screenshot 2022-07-04 085137

2 Likes

Now THAT sounds interesting!

Hmm. At the moment, your description sounds like a foreign language. I only have two styles in my SketchUp model. (Thanks to advice from DaveR) But I am not sure how that translates to LO. You must be implying that there is a style that says guides are turned off. Therefore, they would be off in LO. So if I forget to delete a guide, the style would take care of the error. Right?

OK, I see how I can edit my Style and toggle off Guides. Does that mean I can’t ever see guides when using that style? I think, realistically, my problem is solved if I don’t forget to delete the guides before switching to Layout. I think what I really would like is that someday SketchUp and Layout are combined rather than being two separate programs that require such precise back and forth coordination. I cannot count the number of hours spent going back and forth between the two programs because I forgot to edit something in SketchUp. Hours of my life wasted. Now if someone tells me that I can double click and safely edit my SketchUp file within Layout…

You mean like in Autocad with Modelspace and Paperspace? Don’t we all wish that? I don’t think it will be happening any time soon, not least because Layout has many features that Paperspace doesn’t, such as the ability to pull in all kinds of files besides SU ones. Mind you, I haven’t used and Autocad product for so long that I may be wrong about that now!

No one will tell you that because you can’t. And shouldn’t try, IMHO.

I think you have arrived at the answers. Either, like me, you just have to remember to clear all construction lines before sending to LO, or you use an output style setting that automatically removes them.

Now that we have linestyles in SU, it is arguable that there are so few cases of needing to show construction lines in LO that there should be a global setting for removing them in any viewport created.

In SketchUp I just have one style - a fast modelling style with guides turned on (and whatever else I need turned on).

Separately, I have created various SketchUp styles exclusively for use in Layout that are particular for each viewport that I might have - a raster viewport, vector, hybrid, a style for sections where the profiles and section cut are set, etc… (guides turned off, but you could have a dedicated style that has guides enabled)

These are stored in a folder that Layout references.

I will usually have Layout open and will have right-clicked on the viewport to open the SketchUp file.

Doing this way means that if you edit the SketchUp file it will automatically update in Layout.

Turn off guides in your scenes and update. If you use a working scene you could leave them on there.

If you are using a template, you’ll only deal with this once, and never again.

1 Like

Ahh, of course. Thanks.

I use guides quite a bit but when they’ve served their purpose I delete them with a keyboard shortcut. No point in keeping them to clutter the model. Seems to me that if yuo don’t need them anymore you shouldn’t be hiding them. Suck it up, delete them, and update the model reference in LO so you can move ahead. Going back and giving them a tag so they can be hidden or changing the style in SU would require the same update and you’d still have the guides cluttering the model. If what you’re using then for is worth keeping them, maybe it would make more sense to use non-volatile geometry instead of guides.