Trays are annoying. Can I get Entity Info the old way

Thank you.
The problem with this solution is that in order to get the tray out of your way you have to close it and when you want it back, go to Window>Tray>Show Tray. Previously I could just click on the dialog title and it minimized. When I want I back I click on the title and it is back. I liked the old way better. But this won’t kill me. I don’t see any advantage to the trays at all. I could do everything before and more simply and more flexibly. I could have any number of dialogs. They could all be grouped together or they could be separate. They could be the same size of different. I could minimize one or more at any time and it cleared space on the screen. Minimizing one or more dialogs in the tray don’t change the tray size so it is still in the way (e.g. if you wanted to minimize several dialogs to make more space on the screen, but get them back quickly whenever you wanted.

If you have pinned trays, r-click the sidebar for option to open trays. Also you can set up a keyboard shortcuts in preferences. In Window > Preferences > Shortcuts, search using the tray title for your options.

Please forgive my ignorance. How do you pin a tray?
Trying to do that I noticed that I can right click on the tray and then other trays are shown and I can open or close them.

Try the push pin at the top. It hides the tray in a sidebar at the left or right. The official name is Auto Hide.

… or you can just hover over hidden (unpinned) tray tabs in the sidebar, and they will slide out into view.

I have to agree with you there. The new trays are a PITA

or just switch over to mac! The mac version doesn’t have the new trays.

1 Like

Here’s an example of the problem. All the dialogs are minimized but the tray blocks a big part of the screen.

Why don’t you enable Auto Hide?

Anssi

You made just one floating tray and did not resize it. Above I showed the size of the floater I use as well as all the auto hidden trays listed in the right sidebar. The visibility of floating and pinned trays can easily be toggled on and off with a keyboard shortcut.

I don’t experience any “problems” - just more control. If all else fails, RTFM.

1 Like

How do you do that?

I didn’t know there was an autohide for the Tray. When does it activate? i.e. how does it know when to hide?

Scroll up to the 6th post for auto hide picture, and go to the page linked in my last post.

See: SketchUp Help: Customizing Your Workspace > Arranging dialog boxes and trays

Also FYI, there is also another major discussion thread on the new tray system:

I found this sentence in the Help section, “if you would like to have a clean drawing space with no dialog boxes, select the pin icon in the top right corner of the tray. This puts the tray in Auto Hide mode.”
However, I do not see any pin icon.
Screen shot of my tray

You don’t, because your tray is undocked. You need to dock it to the right, left, top or bottom of your SketchUp window. Grab the tray by its header and SketchUp will display an icon with a four-way arrow/cross in the middle of your screen. Drag the tray to the arrow that corresponds to the edge you want and release. It should move to place, and, now, the pin icon should appear.

Anssi

1 Like

Or go to Window > New tray or Window Manage Trays and make a new tray. The new tray will be pinned (have the arrow.)

It’s unnecessary to do everything in one tray. My animation above have all three tray states: floating, pinned and auto hide.

1 Like

Thanks. That worked. I will be interested to see how this is to work with.

After working with autohide and the trays for a short time I once again don’t see the advantages of the trays and I find lots of disadvantages. The only thing that I see that seems like an advantage is the autohide. If they had just added to the old dialog windows it would be better.

With the old dialog boxes I could have any combination of dialogs open at any time. Any of them could be minimized or expanded at any time (just click on the title bar). Any could be removed or added. They could be independently located or all tied together. Or some tied together and some independent. If I could have set some of them to autohide that would have been an improvement.

If the trays could autosize, they would be better. But they stay the same size whether the dialog(s) are minimized or expanded.

The way I work I like the Entity Info dialog visible most of the time. I thought, OK, I can make a tray with just the Entity Info dialog. Then I can size it for the Entity Info dialog. I can have it visible all the time and autohide the other dialogs. I wanted to pin it, but then I discovered that if pinned it expands to the height of the screen, which is exactly what I didn’t want. So then I put it free floating. But then I found that when I opened the autohide trays I couldn’t see them because they were behind the Entity Info tray. I could move that tray but now it is in a part of the screen I am trying to keep clear. That is, I keep all the dialogs in one area of the screen where they are the least likely to interfere with what I am doing.

This is the way I like my screen normally, with EntityInfo displayed. The tray takes more screen space than the old dialog did.

Here is a pinned tray opened. EntityInfo, which I have floating so that it is always available, hides part of the tray’s dialog.

Here is the EntityInfo tray (which has only the Entity Info dialog) pinned. It takes up too much screen space to use this way and maintain visible.

Here is the Entity Info dialog and 2 other dialogs in SU 2015.

Note: the components and Layers dialogs are minimized and can be expanded just by clicking on the title. As easy as clicking on the tab when they are hidden by autohide (but autohide for the dialogs would still be nice).
This takes less screen space than the trays even when 2 minimized dialogs are there. And they could be easily removed. SketchUp 8 took up less screen space than SU 2015 with the same information because it didn’t put the bit of space between each dialog, and colored the title bar which made the distinction clear.

Note: the Entity Info dialog autosizes when an object is selected.

You can change the width of pinned and auto hidden trays by dragging.

Trays do come with a title bar which chews up some space. How much space depends on the OS theme that you chose. If you switch to the classic theme which lets you minimize the title bar height, you may loose a few rows of pixels.

Make the default tray a floating tray below entity info tray. Go to Window > Preferences > Shortcuts. Add ‘default tray’ to the filter. Add a keyboard shortcut for the visibility of the default tray.

Auto hidden trays can be docked to all four sides of the workspace.