Tracing Floor plan, not sure why trace is not completing a face

Hi there,

I am currently tracing an architect’s plan of a three storey house and have imported the plan as an image, exploded it and started tracing the lines of the walls.

I do multiple checks going through the tracing to make sure I can push/pull the walls up or down.

I have one of the three floors that does not work, as in the rooms seem complete when I click on them, however when I try and push pull them on certain walls the include the background image and I can’t separate them (complete the place of the wall)

Having tried to retrace the walls, checked through styles axis everything seems to be in order. Also I have drawn rectangles around different parts of the image to try an eliminate but not succeesful.

Help I am losing the will to live… (not really it’s on ly Monday!)

Ivan

Why explode the image? Why not just leave it as an image?

Faces don’t form if you have gaps in the loops, little stray edges, or edges don’t form planar loops. Gaps and stray edges can be very tiny. Sometimes it’s easiest to track them down by drawing lines to join inside and out to create smaller faces until you have a section that just won’t fill. It’s possible to have non-planar edges although the By Axis edge color says they are on axis. There is a tolerance factor that comes into play. Better to track down these problems with the Text tool putting coordinates at end points. Set units to something like mm and precision high. Then examine the Z-values to make sure they are all the same.

Thanks for your response, I have tried using Edge tools by THothom and eliminated all extra lines but still having issues. I have retraced all the lines and as explained have tried putting rectangles around areas to isolate issues, still not working. I don’t understand how to examine the z-values?

Use the Text tool to place coordinates at endpoints.

If you share the .skp file so we can examine it, we can probably sort out the problem much more quickly than guessing at the reason you’re having problems.

I really appreciate your help on this - I started tracing on Friday thinking it would take 20 minutes!

Jason’s New home 8.11.20.skp (15.5 MB)

It would easier to track down the problem if you switch to the Monochrome face style so the texture doesn’t show. I deleted a bunch of those short edges I was talking about and then traced a few of the remaining edges to get rid of the profile edges.

Here I removed one of the outer perimeter edges and you can see the thick profile edges.

With the loop of edges closed, the become normal edges instead of profile edges.

I would suggest not bothering to draw in window openings in the plan. Wait until you’ve raised the walls before adding those.

Before you raise the walls, now, delete the floor faces as well as the face between the floor plans.

And you’ll probably want to remove the texture or your walls will look like this:

If you import the image and draw over it without first exploding it, you won’t have a texture to worry about.

Jason’s New home 8.11.20.skp (15.5 MB)

What version of SketchUp are you actually using? Your profile is confusing.

2 Likes

thanks I am using the latest version of sketchup Version 20.2.171 on Mac

Could you update your profile to show that? Thanks.

one idea, once you have the outline completed and before you raise it, make a copy, add the window, or other openings, positions, and then close, align, and lock it. this way you have a handy reference underneath the raised bits for aligning windows and doors etc.

It looks like DaveR has walked you through most of this, but having recently done a lot of troubleshooting (in these forums) with my own construction plans (built in a similar fashion), here are my basic tips (sorry if they’re redundant with anything stated earlier):

1. Keep the architect images intact and separate. Tag them so you can easily hide them but refer back to them as needed. That’s been a huge benefit as I work back and forth with my architect.
  2. Rather than tracing with the line tool, try using the rectangle tool as much as possible when drawing bottom plates–they’re always coplanar. Erase junctions with adjacent plates, then group them before pulling up the walls.
  3. Punch windows and doors last.

Regarding missing faces…

I’ve done this-- a lot! It has it’s diagnostic benefits, but doesn’t fix the problem. and can be the gateway to hell. One thing I learned in my own recent troubles is sometimes you need to cut your losses and redraw. It’s not as hard as it seems–especially if you learn some of the tricks offered by these helpful folks. Due to SU tolerances, the presence of a face does not necessarily mean your geometry is coplanar. If it doesn’t hose you up now, it may down the road. My model broke recently as the result of mistakes I made in construction almost two years ago.

Yes. You could import a separate plan with the windows and, keeping it grouped separately, use it as a reference to move your 3d window components into place. I’ve tried it both ways many times and push-pulling an opening from plan is only fun for a while.

1 Like

Thank you!