Tool icons and tool mismatched in my 2017 Pro Install

I am still reverting to Sketchup Pro 2008, even though two times I have bought a licence upgrade. Each time I find myself too busy (and my time is too expensive) to sort through the various issues I get confronted with, to have the new version work like the old one, including all the plug-ins I use. But certainly there must be features I am missing out on. Now to the bug I am confronted with.

Installed Sketchup Pro 2017 on my Windows 10.1 lap top. No problem with the install, but after selecting all the tool bars, that I want to always have visible, I find the icon and the actual tool that comes up do not match. They are all out of sync. For example. when I select the draw line tool, what actually comes up is the draw circle tool. So back to Sketchup 2008, until someone can tell me how to fix this.

Dieter

When you installed SketchUp, did you double click on the installer to run it or did you right click on the installer and choose Run as administrator? The second method is the correct way. Weird things happen if you don’t install correctly. Find the installer, right click on it and choose Run as administrator. Then choose the Repair option.

This sounds really odd. Can you make a screencap of it?

As you ca see the line tool is selected but it draws circles. I am going to try a reinstall as administrator as has been suggested.

1 Like

I did not install it as administrator. I simply clicked on install and also did not select save as 1st. Just did a network install. I will try a reinstall as administrator and see if it gets fixed.
Dieter

Do not log into your computer as administrator. Right click on the installer and select Run as administrator.

I have never seen anything like this before :open_mouth: . It looks as if all toolbar icons are shifted one step. When did this happen? What happens if you hide all toolbars, restart SketchUp and show them again one by one?

Yes that seemed to be how it was behaving, everything shifted. We are not all Windows “knowledgeable” anymore. I used to be way back, but installs have become so automated, that the Windows install possibilities, I don’t know how to use anymore. For example “right click on the installer and select install as administrator” is foreign to me now. Where is the Installer hidden? Trimble certainly doesn’t give you that option. You select Download and then RUN and away it goes. Even if you right click on RUN there is no “run as administrator” that comes up. I did an uninstall from control panel and then went back to the Trimble site and downloaded again, clicked on run, and it reinstalled, even remembered my license info. I selected the same tool set, and magically everything works this time. No more offset.

Happy also that there are community members that make their time available to help. That is excellent.

Thanks
Dieter

I muddled through it, did an uninstall but reinstalled the same way Trimble presents it. This time the same problem is not reoccurring. I would have followed your instructions, but didn’t know where to find the Installer and then also would have had a problem finding the 2017 pro file(to use for the install). That may all seem elementary, but Windows and software providers are making the install process so automated that a lot of us forget these basics.

Thanks for the helpful and prompt suggestions.

Dieter

1 Like

Well, I’m glad you finally found the installer and got it installed correctly. a lot of weird things have been reported that turned out to be caused by incorrect installation but I think yours is a first. I guess you’ve got that going for you. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.