Today’s the day: Announcing SketchUp 2021!

Sometimes the imported model is so small that it’s not enough to change units.
Actually, I’d love to have kilometres as one of the default units. They would suit urban design purposes very well.

Yes Michal.p,
Trimble “Development Priorities” indeed!
They need to remember that LayOut is a critical component of the SketchUp Pro package, which we professionals need to bring our SU creations to the real world of commercial construction documents!
“Make it a Professional Tool” - yes, please! Trimble needs to step up and give us “LayOut Pro” now!

4 Likes

DANGER!

The new SketchUp 2021 API introduces a dependency on the MSVC 2019 16.6+ redistributables - specifically VCRUNTIME140_1.DLL.
I am not sure when this new DLL was added to the 2019 toolchain, but in Visual Studio 16.4 it was either optional or not part of the toolchain.

The SDK documentation doesn’t currently mention any of the 2021 toolchain dependencies.

This dependency causes a crash in any applications that attempt to use it if the user has not installed a new enough MSVC 2015-2019 redist.

Does this only affect the SDK or also the application?

It will affect both, however I expect that the SketchUp application installs an appropriate MSVC2019 redist and so it won’t matter.

This will (likely) only affect applications that use the SDK that do not install a (new-enough) MSVC2019.

This would usually be because they’re compiled with another toolchain or toolchain version - the SDK is C and so can be used with MSVC, mingw or clang.

For example, older MSVC2019 had compile flags with a side effect that avoided the dependency on VCRUNTIME140_1.DLL.
(That wasn’t their purpose, but is probably why the 2020 SDK worked with the older redist.)

you may “need to ensure” but that is not a naction statement . What actual action is occuring at Trimble other than marketing hype ?

When I get SketchUp 2021 files from people that show issues, or even fail to open, I send those to the developers for them to see if there was an error that the validity test should have picked up on. Fortunately there have only been a couple of those since November, and one led to an improvement that already went into the 2021.0.1 update.

A more recent example is this one:

Naming materials, styles, scenes, or watermarks, with more than 260 characters, leads to an issue in the 2021 file format. For the problem case two of the materials had very long names. Instead of just fixing those two materials, the developers could see the underlying issue, and will fix it for all four cases.

So, if you do see something where using the same file and doing the same action would have left it in a different state to how 2020 would have left it, or if it leaves the files in a state where they won’t open, please let me know.

1 Like

We are not the testers unless you want to pay us or give us a dscount

1 Like

While a lot of formal testing is done before release, I think we need to expect some of the more specific bugs to reveal themselves only in production when scenarios occurs that no one thought about testing, If you are extra dependent on a stable version in your workflow, you can wait a few months to update and let others find the bugs first.

1 Like

Oh so i pay for the “final” version but have to wait for others to find the bugs meanwhile what should i do to my business ?

1 Like

Have you even bought SketchUp, or are you just ranting? What is your point? What do you expect?
If you are soo disappointed, why not sue Trimble?

Having a Monty Python thrown into the discussion is, simply put, not fair! Such good stuff!

I have been a long time loyal l user with commercial licences an evagelist even. Your abusive remarks will be reported to the moderator do you work for Trimble

1 Like

Regardless, are you saying that someone should not complain even if they feel they’ve been wronged? Must all just be accepted? That is very slippery slope, especially when complacency slips in as it often does when there isn’t accountability.

1 Like

I’m confused about what bug you are experiencing.

You are rather making me your straw man. No, I am not saying that bugs ought to be ignored. My point here was that that @tominthegong was adding general type of rants to an old thread, with no indication at all what he is actually disappointed about.

No.

As a matter of housekeeping, I’m locking this thread to further posts. There has been a lot of feedback here. We are certainly tracking issues identified in this thread (and others) as we work to improve the quality of some of these features – and there was a patch release in early January.

We have also read and digested the frustration many people have expressed. By muting this post, I don’t mean to quash or disregard this feedback. We share the same high expectations you have for SketchUp. I’d rather read it how it is from your point of view, and stay motivated to improve.

But these threads also tend to go sideways and lead to some not-so-constructive exchanges for people who centrally visit this forum to help others. Thank you again to all the Sages who are continually showing up here to help people out with SketchUp. I know you often get ‘singed’ for your efforts; I hope that happens less in the future.

4 Likes

Not showing as locked - as evidenced by my ability to post this!

1 Like

Thanks; I locked the original post but not the thread.

1 Like