This site may be hacked

Search Google for
"sketchup knowledge base"
Google lists the site with the above warming.

@jody, I’m seeing the same hacked message as Barry.

me to…

Remove this message from your site
The “This site may be hacked” notification won’t be removed
until the webmaster of the site takes action.

Try these steps to fix your website:

Register and verify your site in Google’s Search Console.
Sign in to Search Console and check the "Security Issues"
section to see details of sample URLs that might be hacked.
Fix the security issue that allowed your website to be infected.
Otherwise, your site is likely to be reinfected.
Read our resources for hacked sites for detailed information on
how to fix your website.
Request a review in the Security Issues section in Search Console
when your entire website is clean and secure. After we check that
your site is fixed, we’ll remove the “This site may be hacked” message.

Need more help?
Post a question in the product forum where some Search Console experts can help you.

john

Is there really something wrong with the knowledge base? They are not very transparent about their evidences.

…this sounds like a similar strategy as the aggressive marketing for their “new fast and secure web browser”.

I just performed the search and it returned the webpage as expected. Hopefully all is fixed now.

they aren’t blocking the site, just discouraging people with this message…

which is still up…

john

I see your point @john_drivenupthewall. I will escalate this to other members of the SU Team who may be better equipped to address this issue than I am.

As Google was indexing your pages they saw “something” that indicates that your pages have been modified by a 3rd party.

While they have not seen anything that indicates malware, if in fact a 3rd party does have access to your site, is able to add content to your pages, they could (and probably will) add malware to your site.

In the sites(mostly wordpress) that I have looked at to date, the warning has tracked back to hidden spammy links and/or the addition of spammy pages to the site loaded with links to spammy (or other hacked) sites.

While no doubt that is going to leave most site owners with a “warm and fuzzy - the kids don’t need to eat anyway” for you guys that are hard to please.

Go into your Search Console (Webmaster Tools) account and re-submit (submit) your sitemap.

Use the Fetch as Googlebot to fetch your homepage and then do a Submit URL and linked pages to index.

Go back to those search results and for any URLs that still have the hacked label and or show a spammy title/snippet -

• If it is a legit URL do a Fetch as Googlebot, verify the content returned is clean, then click Submit to Index. That will trigger a re-indexing of the now clean page and hasten removal of the warning.

• If it is a page added by the hackers, not a legit part of your site, use the URL Removal Tool to remove it from search results.

• If the hackers have added “bogus” parameters to your URLs ?key=buy v__gra - If the parameter is NOT used legitimately on your site then go to URL parameters and tell Google to ignore the parameter.

Follow these 10 steps to ensure your website is not reported as “hacked” in Google search results.

STEP 1: Make Sure Google can Crawl Your Site

STEP 2: Determine if Your Site has been Compromised. scan it here

STEP 3: Check for a Malware Infection

STEP 4 Run the Google Safe Browsing Diagnostic.

STEP 5: Keep your CMS up to Date with Security Patches

Perhaps the message is Googlebot’s way of expressing frustration with the SketchUp Knowledge Base.
There’s more than one meaning of the word hack. :grin:

Thanks for the heads up, investigating now.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.