This BS has to stop and I mean now!

I hope you just mean that you are busy. If you actually have little lifetime left and you also know that about me, I will start to worry a lot!!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
In any case, I understand what you must have gone through that day. And a little steam blowing helps from time to time hehehe

2 Likes

Hi Steve-S,

Back in the day, I thought BonZai 3D looked great for my Architectural works, but I already purchased SU from the @Last folks. I’m still mystified why BonZai 3D, now Form-Z, wasn’t as popular as SU, as they had some great YOUTUBE tutorials & should’ve caputured more of the architectural market given they had some specific tools for Buildings/Architecture.

They still do a free version:-
http://www.formz.com/fzsite1219/products/formz/formz_free.html

Not too sure what’s improved since I saw the first release of the free version, but I was equally impressed at that time:-

But no matter how good the software is, confidence in the company needs to be evident as well ! :confused:

IDK what the level of FormZ popularity is but it has been around a long time. Bonzai3d was an offshoot program, probably to compete with SketchUp and came later than FormZ. Now AutoDesSys is looking at bringing in PowerCADD in some fashion to augment the drawing production side of Form-Z, so there’s development it seems.

Many of the features (such as NURBS) and operations available in the current version of Form-z Pro (without the need for extensions to add more utility to the core application) go well beyond what SketchUp can accomplish without its extensions. Having the option to work procedurally (especially suited for those who constantly work with finicky clients) is one of its most invaluable features without question.

Don’t get me wrong, SketchUp has an overwhelming plethora of outstanding workflow-enhancing extensions thanks, in large part, to its devoted, ever-growing, and extremely knowledgeable and talented application developer community. Unfortunately, extensions must constantly be updated to ensure compatibility with each new iteration of the core application. A typical end-user with a large assortment of extensions may find it unwieldy to constantly keep up with software refinements on a regular basis.

In the end, without a solid, ever-growing end-user base, continuous cutting-edge development, and targeted education and promotion, even an impressive, feature-rich software application such as Form-z can tragically fall to the wayside due to indolence, complacency, or any other number of internal company issues that arise over time that have the potential to undermine its progress along with its ever-tenuous position in the industry.

I have the same problem of having to log in frequently. It is a bit annoying. I’m unable to use 2021 on my computer because I have a docking station and multiple screens. Help tired to get it working and gave me a workaround, but I’m stuck with 2020, even though I paid for 2021.

1 Like

Hi pbacot & Steve-S,
Interesting info about FZ & P-Cadd joining forces, it seems FZ is keen to have powerful 2D drawing tools as I understand, not quite sure what this means though.

FZ had some issues some years back apparently (whatever these were ?) & they went quiet with little communication to its users as noted on their forum. The brilliant YOUTUBE video tutorials by Matthew Holewinski also ceased & he departed with no one picking up this very important marketing mantle, a BIG mistake in my opinion.

Your classic license will continue to work (we have clients that still use version 6, fwiw)
Even if you convert it to a subscription, btw.

This specific issue was due to some errors in some of the servers last month, lately, they are pretty stable again.

You already have a Trimble ID that comes with the free plan.
That might be enough for time being, when you enter the construction phase, you can always hook up.

Rhino:

Blender:

Are you willing to share your work?

https://forums.sketchup.com/t/this-bs-has-to-stop-and-i-mean-now/180724/19?u=mikewayzovski

Or do we have to keep our pace untill you are finished developing them :grinning:

3 Likes

Can it then be used for modelling? There must be now already tens of threads in these forums promoting Blender as an alternative to SketchUp. In absolutely none of them people have been showcasing work done by themselves from the start in it. Render examples either show models that have been circulating the Internet for tens of years, or have been modelled in SketchUp. Whenever Blender is mentioned, by BS warning lights start flashing.

4 Likes

You should definitely use 2021 over 2018. It’s an upgrade for sure.

It can, but I think it’s a false equivalency really.
Blender’s existence doesn’t stop SketchUp from being more intuitive and simple to use - which is one of the core things that makes SketchUp what it is.

Blender is intended to be a replacement for products like 3DS Max and Maya, there is no doubt that it is an immensely powerful tool, but that comes with the same steep learning curve that probably means someone would use SketchUp to begin with.

1 Like

Like I said. It’s an upgrade. It doesn’t have more bugs than 2018. Just improvements. Also you paid for it.

you have chosen your vision of the future, no need to convinse me, for I have chosen mine:
Schermafbeelding 2021-11-17 om 16.55.40

2 Likes

I think SketchUp had impeccable timing in the use of video training and one could be up to speed in a short time. Personally I had been doing airbrushed Architectural Renderings for years and immediately seen advantage of shorting the perspective layout time.

I never get the full 28 days of log in. I have to log on at least 2 times a week. I disnt even know about the 28 days thing until a few weeks ago.

I think an offline option for 28 days would be nice. Login and let it verify, then allow it to be used offline, until it needs a new login for verification

I second that. No licensing hustle, Great customer care, very friendly and you the developers themselves have a permanent presence in the forums where they often speak directly with the users.

1 Like

I feel your pain. This subscription based model is for newbies who just have grown to accept this.
Back in our day when you bought something you owned it. Now everything is rented. And the pyramid grows on the top with less effort. They do less work while leaving it up to the users to make all the scripts. By the time you pay for all the scripts it becomes as expensive as REvit or all the other expensive programs. But that’s the free market. Free to rip you off.

Thanks for responding. I know we have to put up with the subscription, I just am not happy that we now have to put up with the 28 day experations. Adobe Started all this and existing customers told them NOT too but they did it anyway. Like you said, all the Newbies accepted it and basically forced everyone else to comply? Free Market Monopoly! You could have moved to Corel Draw but Illustrator and Photoshop had been established as the "standard” for most printing and pre-press shops. Adobe had purchased it’s former competition. Freehand, Pagemaker etc.

1 Like

Yes, we can chose a different profession or just buy bitcoin. Otherwise you have to put up with this nonsense subscription model which will be coming to a car near you. The virtual world will be even worse for those who consume.

I wouldn’t call it nonsense. At $25 a month, it’s access to an industry tool and falls well into the fair price range, in my opinion.

1 Like