The new M1 processor!

(via Daring Fireball…)
Nice high-level overview from Apple’s developer documentation team. One pedantic note worth emphasizing (I made this mistake in my M1 MacBook Pro review) — Rosetta is translation, not emulation, and technically that’s a big deal:

To the user, Rosetta is mostly transparent. If an executable contains only Intel instructions, macOS automatically launches Rosetta and begins the translation process. When translation finishes, the system launches the translated executable in place of the original. However, the translation process takes time, so users might perceive that translated apps launch or run more slowly at times.

The system prefers to execute an app’s arm64 instructions on Apple silicon. If a binary includes both arm64 and x86_64 instructions, the user can tell the system to launch the app using Rosetta translation from the app’s Get Info window in the Finder. For example, a user might enable Rosetta translation to allow the app to run older plug-ins that don’t yet support the arm64 architecture.

1 Like

Chaos Group have said that they’ll be updating V-Ray for Sketchup for M1 support as soon as Sketchup itself offers M1 support. So the issue isn’t just about Sketchup performance, but also about the whole Sketchup ecosystem and continuing to work in Sketchup ecosystem with new Macs.

I haven’t seen that mentioned directly. I queried this with chaos group a couple weeks ago and Konstantin ponted me to this post from Vlado that a native V-Ray ARM port with be forthcoming in the first half of 2021 - this is in relation to Houdini on the Mac but the implication is that the V-Ray ARM port is independant of the host software.

not sure about Houdini itself but for V-Ray the plan is to work on a native ARM port in the first half of 2021.

That’s interesting re: V-Ray Arm port in first half of 2021. The answer I got about them waiting for Sketchup to support M1 was from when I asked about it today during their V-Ray 5 for Sketchup webinar.

1 Like

That response was direct from Vlado.

I up picked my M1 MBP yesterday and loving the new keyboard, the speed and the battery so far. I haven’t dug into much performance-wise yet though in SketchUp. I’ve just been getting everything set up.

On a more official note, we just added a place to track issues in our Technical Problems category. If you’re having issues, be sure to go there to report them so that the engineers will find them more easily. I’ll also try to update the 2nd post with known issues and workarounds as they arise.

You can visit the thread here.

3 Likes

Nice!

I’m considering going the same route, so will be very interested in hearing your report on how it handles SU and LO.

1 Like

Has Any one out there tried rendering a file on an M1 using V-ray for Sketchup yet .
Keep seeing the mac mini being used on youtube with Blender animation demo . But not with real work flow or models being rendered right out of Sketchup 2021. Anyone !

The earlier posts in this topic indicate that Chaos Group says Intel V-Ray sort of works but is not stable on M1, but they plan to have an M1 version available early in 2021

VRay wont work - the render engine physically works but the asset editor & VFB don’t function.

Big thanks for this reply … Guess like the rest of the industrys out there , we will have to wait for a little bit longer . …
Currently running sketchup 202 pro with v-ray on my iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 and 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB .Its crashing almost every-time . About to nuc my mac’s hard drive and reinstall only bits I really need. It’s never been a fresh mac so to speak as I had to replace my tower mid way through a job so its got every-thing I had on the tower coped over . so time for a spring clean once and for all . Any way big thanks again .

I was able to download from a reseller the latest version of Blender under development which works perfectly on … an entry-level Macbook Air M1. I switched to real-time rendering mode, I gradually multiplied the objects in this scene to 100 … 1000 … 4000 then even 10 000. I was able to handle the scene with fluidity ! Maybe the Array modifier is fast too.

I would like to go back from SU2020 to SU2018 (I did not download or try the SU2021 which does not interest me).
I ordered an M1 laptop. Has anyone tried SketchUp 2018 on an M1 under Rosetta ?

1 Like

Maybe time to update your profile :grinning:

1 Like

I haven’t tried 2018 on an M1 machine, but I have tried it under Big Sur on my Intel MacBook Pro. It lasted for a while but then quit while I wasn’t even using it.

What is the reason you’re not interested in 2021? It’s the only version that will have changes made to it to improve how it runs on the new machines.

Because the relationship between benefits and restrictions is now unbearable. I still have the option to install the next intermediate version, but I quit from 2020.1
I read on the site that I escaped a bug in 2020.2 that I did not even know. I am surprised by the many problems reported on the forum.

In the store I wanted to download a demo of SketchUp, I was unable to, due to the restrictions of Trimble.

Regarding SketchUp 2021, layer groups are a minor improvement (requested for about 10 years by users?). Since years I use numbers on my layer names, which overrides groups (for example “0 Site” or “5 details”…).
I don’t see the point of using LiveComponents, which I cannot create (I use my Dynamic Components a lot, I have made more than 700). If I believe a video from MatterMachine (which Trimble bought), what you are offering in 2021 was already possible … in 2014. MatterMachine already offered to create parametric objects exportable to SketchUp (but not parametric in SketchUp).
Finally “PreDesign” is only an illustration of the weather data that can be found for example on Wikipedia, associated with design advice, which is necessarily doubtful without thermal calculation with the project. The only small improvement that would have interested me is the new SKP format, but I don’t want to take risks with it. There is no new incremental file format for Layout 2021, I suppose ?

1 Like

I don’t know of any restrictions in 2021 that weren’t the same in 2020.

The file format in LayOut was already similar to how SketchUp is now. SketchUp had to catch up.

I couldn’t find your license details, but it’s possible you already have a 2021 license. It has many fixes worth having, and only one or two new issues. If you want to try it, here’s the installer for Mac and Windows, without you having to sign in:

Mac 2021 DMG

Win 2021 EXE

Thanks. I suppose it is the installers ? I have the possibility to access to the 2021 installers, I have a license key for 2021.

I can’t tell from your profile what system you’re using, so I gave links for Mac and Windows. With Mac it’s a disk image, and you drag the SketchUp 2021 folder to Applications. For Windows it’s an installer EXE.

If you have a Classic license, activating 2021 will make it be your active version, and I would have to change something if you needed to go back to activating 2020 or 2019. You could run 2021 as a 30 day trial too, and wait until later to add your classic license.

Thanks.

About restrictions, I see a benefit to do not install and activate SU2021 : to have the choice to go back to SU2018. Remember, I speak about benefits/restrictions balance.
The interest for me about SU2018 is no permanent classic licence linked to Trimble server that may ask me to connect again and again, and no the bad experience we have with Layout 2020 bugs and slowdowns.
If SU2018 work with M1 and Rosetta2 emulation (only 20% slowdown), it is perfect. I’m not interested in a new version of SketchUp optimized for M1. I remember SketchUp when it was transitioning from PowerPC to Intel, and how slow it was in Rosetta1 emulation. Today the Rosetta2 emulation is excellent.

If you have a Classic license, neither 2018 or 2021 need you to sign in to use most features. Both 2018 and 2021 require you to sign in to use some features. The sign in on 2018 requires that you have a Trimble ID. The sign in on 2021 lets you sign in with Google or Apple instead.

There are restrictions if you compare Classic versus subscription, but not if you are using a Classic license in both cases.

But that doesn’t matter. If 2018 is working ok, then all is good.