The Human Form?

Anyone any pointers toward modelling human anatomy (basic head) in SketchUp ?
I’m aware that there are dedicated progs like Autodesk and Poser but I wondered how far I would get with SU ?

It should be do-able. But I think you’ll have the best results with SubD or Sandbox Tools, or even a lofting plugin. You’ll need one of those to handle the complex curves in the skull and bones.

I think I recall seeing one of the Sketchup team’s Live Modelling sessions about using SubD for just such a purpose, or one very like it.

Let me see if i can find it…

Sorry, I can’t.

But I did find a reference to one going back to 2017 by TheOnlyAaron. Try the Sketchup Facebook site and see if you can find it there.

I did find one about using SubD, but it was for contoured cars, not humans.

A second more targeted search on this forum found this:

Yes that’s just the image coming up, the comms has expired

With Artisan

With SUbD

Use search on Youtube for tutorials.

1 Like

Thank you for these. I thought someone somewhere would have had a go at this knowing what can be done in SU. I’ve know about Blender, ZBrush etc but they are to much to get learning at 70. But these are enough for what I have in mind. Regarding the SUbD, a profile photo can be inserted on the vertical nose line and the facial features pulled out from the wire frame for an accurate profile instead of guessing? I take it the more time you take with the wire frame i.e. smaller polygons, the better the finish/detail? regarding Artisan, is a plugin right ?
I’ve a traditional knowledge of sculpture (as from my UN) But need to take short cuts using this topography.

For all your three questions the answer is yes.

This is best I’ve seen he uses a profile and a front photo, but frustratingly lacking some vital dialogue 50 minutes and nothing said
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?view=detail&mid=98449B97F929FE9AF89D98449B97F929FE9AF89D&shtp=GetUrl&shid=fc138917-268e-40c1-bba6-2414f97e509a&shtk=SVJPTiBNQU4gSGVhZCBNb2RlbGluZyh3aXRoIFNrZXRjaFVwKQ%3D%3D&shdk=dXNlZCBTVUJEIGFuZCB2ZXJ0ZXggdG9vbHMscXVhZGZhY2UgdG9vbHM%3D&shhk=qoRtc9YGzGXysVEKd8yJBk5AsiV8OI7p7iR6PGpM1SI%3D&form=VDSHOT&shth=OSH.hqB05shNsQTkqyVoQ4RXxQ