Terrain modeling workflow

I try to improve my knowledge of terrain modeling to use sketchup as a unique platform for the realization of my projects

I have doubts about the best method to to structure a terrain.and deploy the components roads, urban furniture, walks, stairs, etc

1. Construt the 3d terrain model with contour lines and sandbox or points and toposhaper
    I dont know any plugin that allows to use both, points, contours (and breaklines)
    If i dont have breaklines the result in toposhaper is not correct.
    If the 3d model is not correct which plugin do you recommend for coorect ?
    In which situations should i use a mesh ?
  2. After modeling the terrain i wont to drape the other information (roads, walks, street lights, etc)
    what is the most correct way ? use a file with all the information or separate by themes and deploy individually ?
  3. In the case of stairs, ramps, platforms, etc. should i drape their contour on the 3d model surface, cut these areas and implant the components or draw on the model (develop these components separately) ?
  4. After having draped the roads, walks and curbs i tried to make your extrusion but the push pull but doesn’t allow. what is the problem ?
  5. Some of the projected faces when draping over the surface break their contour lines and thus do not individualize against the surface. In some cases it is possible to draw on the surface and join the lines but in others it is not possible to visualize.
    Thanks
    José

Take a look at the lessons provided by Daniel Tal

https://danieltal.com he shares a ton of knowledge on this subject.

1 Like

What level of realism and detail do you want to create for the roads?

a simple drape over terrain
Animation-03b

a realistic profile road
Animation-03d

https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/pushing-and-pulling-shapes-3d
For Push/Pull multiple faces at once you need an extension (Joint Push Pull Interactive)

View > Hidden Geometry

1 Like

Hi
Thanks for your interest in my problem
The site exist
This is a land recovery project
My goal is reconstitute the existing urban landscape and then make new plantations and introduce equipment and urban furniture
Thanks

From what I saw in the photos you shared, an option of creating the 3D model could be:

• to model the streets, sidewalks, alleys, etc (mostly horizontal, and on the slope where it’s required) you could use quads (will be good for texturing as well), based on the technique in this clip but applied to SketchUp tools (necessary extensions: Vertex Tools, Quadface Tools, Split Tools, SUbD, Fredo JPP);
  • the terrain to be retopologized to quads (mostly) instead of triangles (maybe with Soap Skin and Bubble extension and edited with Artisan or Sandbox Smoove);
  • 3D modeled stairs and together with the alleys to be located starting from the sidewalks of the main streets;
  • cut the terrain in their area (stairs, alleys) and united with a border/path created around the stairs, the alleys and the sidewalks;
  • street lights placed in a 2D plane, and then positioned in 3D space with the help of the DropGC plugin; the same technique for street furniture and vegetation.
1 Like

Thanks for your suggestions.

1 Like

What I wrote to you in the previous message, translated into a quick sketch, just as an idea - 3D SKP model -
mod-03(SU2017).skp (690.0 KB)

Ok
I’m trying to make the model with toposhaper but there are some irregularities
I’m checking the contours