Taper Maker Ruby Script or Extension for SketchUP 8 Pro

I have a licensed copy of SketchUp 8 Pro Version 8.0.16846 that I haven’t used for 10 plus years but I’m trying to relearn the program and use it to design coffee cups with a tapered handle. The handle is basically an oval shape that is wider at the top and tapers at the bottom with four bends in it. This is causing me grief as the Follow Me tool wants to keep the same size thru the entire bend. Is there a free taper maker Ruby script or extension that will work with my version that I can get somewhere? The ones I see online are all for newer versions of SketchUP. I read somewhere that I need Ruby scripts written for Ruby 1.8.6-p287.

If the Taper Maker plugin doesn’t work in your version, you could try this way with Loop Subdivision Smooth (SU8)

1 Like

Using native tools. I made a simpler tapered stem for a plastic cup. It’s in meters but can easily be converted to make 1 inch equal 1 meter.
Coffee Cup #1.skp (42.3 KB)

Thanks Royce but unfortunately SketchUp 8 Pro can’t open the file.

Thanks Mihai. I’ve downloaded the Ruby file and it shows up in tools. I’ll give it a try.

Ok you smart SketchUP users, I was able to download Taper Maker and SketchUp allowed me to install the plugin but when I restart SketchUp I get the following error message.

Error Loading File dm_taper_maker.rb
(eval):5379:in `require’: uninitialized constant SketchupExtension::DrawMetalTaperMaker::smiley:

Does that mean it won’t work in Version 8 Pro?

You can download SketchUp 2017 Make which may work better under Windows 11 and try running the script in it. You can always backsave to v8 if you need to use Pro features like Boolean tools.

The compatibility for Taper Maker is v2014, v2015, v2016, v2017, v2018. SU 8 is not on the list.

The extension files are encrypted. Only the author would be able to help.

This error might come from an old API bug that has since been fixed in newer versions. (Ie, when one file requires another, the 2nd file is evaluated within the wrong namespace context instead of at the top-level ObjectSpace.)

1 Like