Tagging Sub Components Based on Parent Component?

Is there a way to have the sub component’s tag match the parent component automatically without exploding the components?

Who told you that? The sub components get their own tag if you give it to them. If you explode the parent component the subcomponents will inherit the parent’s tag. If you want the subcomponents to have the same tag as the parent, open the parent, select the subcomponents and put the tag on them.

I edited my post.

Not automatically. I’m not aware of an existing extension but it might be possible for someone to write a Ruby script you could run to give the parent’s tag to the subcomponents. To be honest, you’rs is the only request I’ve ever seen for that sort of thing in the nearly 20 years I’ve been using SketchUp. The ability to give the subcomponents tags that are different from the parent adds a lot of flexibility to how various objects in the model can be displayed in different scenes.

1 Like

I’m using it for a takeoff for reports and I group things together inside of components that can be all in the same tag so instead of going into each one which is tedious tagging just the parent is easier.

Understood. You might make a request from one of the Ruby gurus to see if they could write a plugin to do what you want, if it’s possible. Until you have such a thing, you could give the subcomponents the tag when you select them to make the parent component. Then immediately put the same tag on the parent component.

Exploding a tagged component will only affect it’s untagged entities.
Nested objects (or other entities) that are already tagged, just keep the Tags they have.

Fwiw, like @DaveR says, if one decides to organise the model by nesting hierarchy levels, they need to be selected, first.
Might as well tag them in the entity panel or tag panel.

There is also a ‘level’ attribute in Generate report, as well as a filter. You might not even need tags to set up a report.

3 Likes

I was not aware of the level in the generate report. I will have to explore that. Thanks.