Tagging behaviour

Howdy,

Can I just check if this tagging behaviour is normal? I’m not sure if I’m misunderstanding something or experiencing bugs.

The first is I have an entity which belongs to tag ‘02 upstairs’. When I hide things with tag ‘01 ground’ it hides this entity which is not what I was expecting. I mean, this might make sense if the multiple tags could be assigned but that seems quite inconsistent with teh UI and the impression I got was entities have one-or-none tag.

The second is when I go to set a tag to active it changes the alphabetic ordering of all my tags.I was thinking these behaviours should be largely orthogonal, but again not sure if I’m misunderstanding.

I guess a couple of ‘rider’ questions is:

1. is there a way to change the order of tags? I couldn’t figure out how to so was hoping to rely on prefixing with numbers to provide order, but that doesn’t work well with the behaviour above, perhaps there is a better way to do this?

2. Is there an established/recommended way of searching the documentation for sketchup for web? The documentation for this seems to be markedly different for the non-web versions (admittedly I’ve never tried them). Everytime I google or search the forums I get a lot of things that are not relevant to me (even with the forum-tag filtering). No worries if this is just a pain point that has to be endured but as before, if I’m missing something obvious, it would be good to know.

Thanks!

You should be leaving the pencil icon at Untagged. All edges and faces should be created as untagged and should remain untagged. Only the groups, components, and text items like dimensions should get tagged with other tags.

Following those rules will prevent you from creating problems in your models. There’s never a need to chase the active tag, either, because when you open a group or component to edit it the edits will be untagged like the geometry that is already there.

You should be leaving the pencil icon at Untagged. All edges and faces should be created as untagged and should remain untagged. Only the groups, components, and text items like dimensions should get tagged with other tags.

Thanks for the advice. I traditionally did not do this, because originally the only way I knew how to change the tags was to click on the pencil icon to switch to another tag as active, select my items and hit the image button.

I only recently realised you can right click on selection → entity info and edit it there! And am doing that nowadays.

As it turns out my entities appeared to have gotten into a fairly weird state. Using the right click → entity info setup I’ve managed to reset it and it works as expected/hoped!

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.