Switching from Archicad to SU

Hi Dingbat,

I’ve read similar posts where a 3D-CAD-BIM user was considering a switch to SU-Pro. I’ve never quite understood why, as thought these 3D-CAD-BIM products were far superior given their architectural parametric abilities. SU, a manual 3D modelling programme won’t have these parametric abilities, unless you can find extensions to substitute for this need.

I was hopeful SU-HQ would integrate some of these architectural extensions many many years ago, even just some basic ones like Form-Z, but SU-HQ more or less confirmed they weren’t in the mood for this & just wanted to concentrate on improving the manual 3D abilities people find so addictive.

I like using SU for 3D visuals, but most of my design & construction plans are done in DataCAD for fast 2D work, as DC for 3D work just isn’t a fit for me. I’ve been using SU since version 5 & have also used it for construction plans on the odd small project, but prefer DC, as just too fast & fits well with the residential type of work I undertake.

Its great some SU users can use SU from the get-go from design to construction plans as we can see via these posts, SU is capable of this, but for me, I found it a little tedious at times.

I’ve also said I’d switch from one programme to another, but now just tend to use all these programmes when the need arises. A lot of my architectural work involves extensions, alterations & conversion works. This can require a lot of measuring up on site & producing plans/elevations & sections first of the existing building to conceive a client’s design requirements.

SU isn’t particularly good at this type of work compared to DC, as DC has an array of architectural 2D tools for multiple wall line thicknesses & with window/door insertions that cut & heal walls on placement.

I’m currently on a learning path with ArchLine-XP-Pro, a 3D-CAD-BIM programme, as ultimately, I want to see if extraction of 2D plans from a 3D-CAD-BIM modelling programme can be done as effectively. However, these programmes tend to have limited 2D architectural tools that I need for the initial survey building plans.

Anyway, as you note, you’ll have to give SU a go on a project from design to construction to see if it’s a fit for you & this SU forum is a quick place for helping newbie users. SU Layout I guess you’ll also need to learn for the final plans/doc’s etc. but patience is required, as its not that fast to use on larger projects & if an update to the main SU model is required, regens can take a bit of time to link through.

there are pros and cons to both AC and SU (as you would expect)

AC is a no brainer if most of your job is creating construction drawings. I know there are a few plugins to help with that in SU but honestly, they don’t come close to matching the quality, speed and performance you get with AC

i’ve used AC on and off for well over 15 years now so i know it pretty well. it can take a fair while to get to grips with everything that can be done and the way to do it to get the most out of the software

yes the parametric tools save a lot of time, but everything is quite rigid and there’s a /lot/ of clicking in and out of windows and tabs to get things done, and if you want something that isn’t done parametrically the modelling tools are pretty clunky

it sounds like you started off in 2D and are slowly transitioning to 3D?

i’ve never drawn a plan, elevation or section in 2d :slight_smile:

when i first started out i found the concept of building a model at real size and then using that model to automatically generate drawings felt completely natural, and although it took a long time to learn the different applications, i clicked with them early on

on the contrary, i briefly looked into Autocad at the same time as I started learning Archicad (the technical guy that did my drawings at the time was using it - and still does) and i wondered why anyone would even contemplate working that way

the software felt alien to me, didn’t excite me at all and drawing in 2D and cross referencing all the drawings is prone to error

if you’re getting into BIM you need to let go of 2D. build the model in 3D and then let the software sort out the 2D side of things.

the vast majority of drawings i present to clients are perspective renders, and the odd AXO view (but still rendered)

i stopped presenting CAD style line drawings because all i got were blank stares :slight_smile:

now i get ooohs and aaahs and it’s easy to gauge client interest this way

and this is what brought me to look into Sketchup. Right now in AC i need to combine line renders with other types of renders, and i put a lot of time into rendering different passes and then combining them to get the look i want

SU gives a decent looking conceptual “render” in realtime right in the viewport, which can /potentially/ save a lot of time

and i have to say it’s been pretty quick to learn how to use the application. now i just need to find some plugins to help with the key architectural elements and i think i’m set

it’s not a clear cut decision yet but my feeling is that once i get up to speed i won’t look back

Hi Dingbat,
Yes, you’re correct with regards to 2D, but I actually started off with a drawing board, now that shows my age… :man_white_haired:. Architectural work back then had a certain pride & discipline for successful construction & I recall some chap in the late 80’s turning up where I use to work demonstrating this fangled thing called AutoCAD. I was convinced it would never replace or look better than my hand drawn architectural plans, but here we are today. DataCAD was far better in my eyes than AutoCAD back in the mid 90’s, as it was designed with Architects for Architects.

2D still has an important place for the type of work I undertake & my disciplined background makes little room for error. But can see a 3D-CAD-BIM programme with a good level of 2D tools would be key for my initial survey drawing work to progress to 3D for proposals. So don’t quite see letting go of 2D yet, as I wouldn’t necessarily need to produce an existing building in 3D to just add a smaller addition or alteration… :thinking: However, time will tell the more I get use to ArchLine-XP-Pro.

Hi, Dingbat.

I have created a collection of Doors & Windows by Dynamic Component and share for free. It’s sill enough for me to produce models at LOD 200-300. You may take a look at the video if you’re interested.

SketchUp - Dynamic Doors & Windows Collection - Features - YouTube

Document in English and Download link is in video’s description.

1 Like

Hi Cyentruk,
Impressive YOUTUBE video & SU Dynamic Doors & Windows Collection… :+1:

1 Like

producing a building in 3D is probably quicker than doing it in 2D :slight_smile:

moreover i think that building a basic existing house model, even in the early stages and adding an extension, however small, you can play with proportion, height, roof pitch window size and so on and get a much better feel for how the changes could suit the house

and i find that clients understand a perspective drawing much better than a 2D plan/elevation combo. i’d argue 2D CAD lines don’t come close, take longer and will likely produce errors

the technical guy i mentioned above, he once asked me to do some conceptual renders of a project of his. as i was building the model it became apparent that the roof structure he drew wasn’t right, and the roof lights he placed weren’t where he thought they were :slight_smile:

i’ve no doubt you’re very careful when you draw, but you’ll find that once you get used to building the model in 3D and using that to generate drawings you’ll wonder why it took you so long

alas, i have decided that Sketchup isn’t for me. i /really/ wanted to like it and there’s definitely a lot to like, but in the same way Archicad is a bit clunky when it comes to modelling anything non linear, SU is even more clunky when it comes to generating construction docs, and even though i don’t need detailed documents working in AC is so much smoother and faster (for me)

i’m sure there are plugins that will do most of what i need but i can’t even begin to list the /many/ productivity tools that make working in AC a pleasure. i think it took me trying out SU to realise that the grass is greener where i already am :slight_smile:

and for the things i can’t do quickly in AC i model in MODO and then export to AC

i thought i could do it all in SU and save myself a lot of time but it wasn’t to be

i really appreciate the link the and your help before, but as i said above i have decided that SU isn’t for me… for now at least

1 Like

Hi Dingbat,

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree when it comes to 2D architectural works for this moment in time. However, when I become (hopefully) proficient at 3D-CAD-BIM with ArchLine-XP-Pro, I may well agree with your thoughts, like I said, time will tell… :persevere:

I’ve not seen any video Demo’s in MODO & not too sure how it compares with SU, but it sounds like its a good fit for your architectural works over SU. I’ll have to head over to YOUTUBE to see what its all about, but note its quite pricey compared to SU.