Super charging my PC for better Sketchup performance

Hi there,
I’m currently modeling up a complicated church interior and as sketchup is running quite slowly i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the best upgrades to improve it. The current spec is:
Lenovo Erazer X510
Windows 10 Inter Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.5 GHz
24 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 GPU.

I look forward to your input!
Thanks,

Dave

@superlateral,

Your specs are already quite high. There might be a graphics card that would give you slightly better performance, but the problem will likely be better addressed by simplifying your model and/or modifying your work flow.

Here’s a recent thread that points to some ways to reduce the complexity of your model: I need assistance in cleaning up big models

If you have a complex model, usually the first thing that helps is to purge unused elements.

Another approach (you can do both) is to use one of the display options that speeds up your work - like turning off display of textures - while you model, then, when you have the geometry right, turn textures on for final tweaks.

2 Likes

I agree with @sjdorst, before you look at investing money in your computer system, look at ways to optimize your modeling processes. In addition to simplifying and purging your model of unused stuff, you might use layers to hide parts of the model you don’t need to see. Reducing the displayed model to the minimum will show you an improvement in performance. Working in Monochrome, as Steven implied, will also be a big help. Save the texturing until towards the end of modeling. Also make sure you are using one of the quick styles, indicated by the little clock icon on the style thumbnail.

Another thing you might consider is creating some proxy components that can stand in for the more detailed ones. If you make them properly, you can swap them easily when needed.

1 Like

Compared to the fastest PC money can buy, the difference in SketchUp performance would be slight, probably barely noticeable.

Anssi

2 Likes

I agree look to optimising your modelling process first, purge suggestion is good as is turning off things like textures, edges and the one that works for me
is turning off profiles, especially as I was inserting quite a few 3d plant components, looks bloody ugly with edges and profiles turned on anyway as you see all the ugly black lines! and of course takes for ever to get anywhere fast when modelling.

1 Like

Thanks Everyone, really useful feedback. It’s already making a big difference, and has saved a pretty penny too!

Dave

Proper technique, not exotic hardware, is the way to make SketchUp run faster.

See this compendium of performance modeling techniques:
How do I Make SketchUp Run Faster? — SketchUp Sage Site

In terms of CPU the above advices are spot on, in regards to GPU, having the highest Vram possible will help.

It’s not that higher Vram will make it faster, but it will allow you to render more complex models with higher polygons, specially if they are textured, without hitting a limit.

With Layout, the difference is even clearer, the more Vram, the more viewports will you handle in Layout.

I have a TitanX wich was expensive but I haven’t felt a single botleneck since using it. It has 12Gb. The recent Nvidia GTX 1070 and 1080 are cheaper, faster and though they don’t have as much Vram, they still have an impressive 8Gb.

Not directly related, but Vram will also help you if you use Sketchup for rendering with GPU and if you use other software that uses GPU.

If that’s the case, like me, even having 12Gb I sometimes have to shutdown apps that are GPU hungry.

My HP Pavilion 17" runs an i5 Intel processor @ 2.4 Ghz . It has 12 Gigs of RAM. I took out the 1 TB hard drive and replaced it with a 240 or 250 Gb Solid State Drive. I think it was $75 or so. It’s a little tricky setting up the drive and copying the old over to it, but I got through it. Everything about the machine is faster now. After SSD you won’t go back to HDD. Youtube has the whole process.

I didn’t know that. Time to have a new look at the 1070/1080 . thanks for sharing this tip.

MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition

I do use Layout heavily so I might look into a graphics card upgrade, but the other tips above have really helped! thanks!

Too true, I take the time now to disassemble a wall section or part, that isn’t a ‘solid’ or is performing strangely. The further along your model is, the more strange little events start to happen, with axis not lining up or being different. One model or two or three? Break them up so you can keep everything close to the ‘starting point’. Wood grain is a headache.

the GF 1060 is already sufficient, if the motherboard (wattage) and the BIOS do support the intel Core i7-4790K you could add 500 MHz clock frequency …with the CPU (single core speed) mainly defining the SU performance.

I recently upgraded from a gtx 560 to a 1060. It really works nice (more speed and 6Gb texture memory). The 1070 / 1080 are even better but cost more as well. I couldn’t justify the extra costs for my ‘simple’ 3d models (< 500k faces).