Ok, since SU23 was released, I’ve been using it on my PC. I opened it on the mac once or twice, to install everything and check a few files. no work.
This evening, I just wanted to change a quick colour on a fil, and surprise :
The “colour in model” section is blank. Not even the default colour, nothing.
And I’m talking on EVERY file. An old file filled with materials, a new one with just the silhouette. My default file, but also SU’s default files.
Moreover, Clicking on the small black house DOESN’T take me to the colour in model. I have to manually pick it in the menu next to it. and i’s empty
List of things I’ve considered :
- I’ve checked SU22, it’s all fine. The same files have colours in model, while nothing in SU23
- disabled all plugins, then emptied the plugin folder, nothing
- full uninstall (both application folder and library preferences) then reinstall. nothing.
- I gave SU23 full access to the hard drive, so it’s not an issue of permissions (and yeah, I’m admin).
- Tried running with rosetta. it went really slower, but still, no avail.
- yes, I’m up to date. yes, I restarted.
- same goes for the extensions, it’s all up to date. anyway, it bugged even on a clean install.
Finally, I installed a material browser plugin, and loh and behold, my materials are there. But not in the official colour panel. If I select a material in the plugin, it appears at the bottom of the “official” material panel (bottom left), and I can use it. but nothing will appear in the white void.
First image is a 2022 file, with colours.
Then a 2023 file, blank colours in model, and the small house icon not working.
Yet, what the plugin (material browser) sees.
The plot thickens :
If I create a new material (dropdown menu at the bottom), It’ll work. I can pick a photo, here, bricks, and it’ll suddenly appear in the “colour in model” area. Still, non of the others.
However, if I quit sketchup (without saving, then re-open a brand new virgin file (different template even), The material still appears, without texture (colour only), despite not actually existing in this file.
First image, when I create a new material (bricks) in my template.
Second image, when I quit, restart, then open a completely different template.
To me, it smells of temp folder issue, as if the colour panel couldn’t find / access the temp colour folder of the currently open file.
I really can’t say when it started, sometimes between the release and now. Can’t start a bugsplat because it didn’t crash, I’m thinking @colin might know who in the SU dev team might have an idea.
Right now I’m tired, lost my evening to it, and I’ll just put it aside. Hope someone has a glorious idea.