Structure, canvas and SketchUp

Hi bifterx,

Thanks so much for the files! Has been requesting original scan from Occidental but no avail.

Can you share some of the materials you created?

hi tyson

when you say materials, you mean drawings etc?

1 Like

I meant like the actual files that are created. I know you shared some of the obj files above, but it appears that we need a converter to open them in SketchUp and those all seem to cost money (unless I’m missing something? I just re-read and saw the MeshLab comment). I’m very seriously thinking about buying this product, but I wanted to mess around with one of the actual models that was created from it a bit first.

With that in mind, would you mind sharing one of the Canvas to Cad files? I guess I just want to see exactly what that $29 creates.

Apologies if any of this is redundant

HI Tyson
sorry for the massive delay, I must have missed your last post.
.obj should import into sketchup natively , or open in meshlab and convert to Collada.

here is an example of a colorised scan and an output .skp file.

output .skp

colorised scan

Cheers
Rob

1 Like

Similar workflow with DotProduct and Undet for sketchup DotProduct 3D Scan to SketchUp 3D Model with Elly Ball and Undet on Vimeo

@alexschiff The Structure Sensor has been out for a few years now (launched in 2014?). Sensors/hardware are getting better every year I would expect. If you would buy a StructureSensor now - is it the same hardware as in 2014? If so, will there be a new version of the hardware with better accuracy at any point / soon? I would expect sensors matter too although a lot of the heavy lifting might be done by the algorithms that will be updated once in a while.
I ask because 1% errors while scanning spaces that are 6x10m or 10x15m large is a bit too much for my work.

@bifterx You are still using the sensor for your work? Any new experiences you can share?

yes, I still use it for every survey as it remains invaluable for capturing large amount of data that you may not otherwise measure. I don’t really take advantage of the Scan to CAD service as I use the raw scan mesh in both the Canvas app and Meshlab for measurements (the raw data is very accurate). I still use it in conjunction with a measured survey ( I use MagicPlan and a Disto laser for that). I also use a UAV survey with Metashape Pro to generate Orthomosaic site plans and meshes.

3 Likes

Hi again Max! Yes, it is the same sensor, and indeed the heavy lifting is done by the software. A lot of people don’t know this, but Occipital (the company behind Structure Sensor) started as a pure software company — we built a depth sensor to give devices the extra sense we felt was needed to create better, more reliable software. So, most of the improvements since 2014 (especially with accuracy) have been on the software side, though we have launched other hardware like Structure Core (though that is targeted at embeddable uses like robotics).

If you’re looking to close the gap a bit on certain critical dimensions, you may be interested in this workflow some of our customers use: I need higher accuracy than 1-2%. Can I submit my own dimensions to improve accuracy? - Canvas FAQ.

2 Likes

Hi @bifterx and @alexschiff,

Thanks you both for your replies. I will have another look at the info you both mention and see if it can fit my workflow.

Any fellow Dutch architect users of the Structure Sensor who can share their experiences maybe as well?