Importing room scans

Hello folks. Sorry if this isn’t the correct section but in a way it’s a request for a tutorial.

I use sketchup to mostly do room models for structural repairs, sometimes a full building, depends. Anyway, after seeing folk importing ‘room scans’ , I would LOVE to be able to do this, it would save a huge amount of time for me on-site measuring, and then modelling.

So, I’m looking for a room scanning app to suit an iPhone 12 mini (minus LiDAR) that I can then export models into SU. Preferably free but I’m happy paying a reasonable fee per scan, depends on quality etc, don’t really want an expensive subs off either but again if it’s not OTT then I’d defo consider it. Open to all suggestions.

Can anyone help?

TIA

As far as I know you would need the lidar function as part of your phone to do accurate scans. If you had this, then Canvas would be the right app for you.

1 Like

Thank you Joanne but canvas is out as you say, just read the story on the App Store and yes it requires LiDAR. Shame, looks good.

3D scanning requires a device that can produce 3D data. A normal camera cannot do that.

1 Like

It was released as a limited beta test, but watch for when it will be made public (“Later this spring, we’ll open up RealityScan Early Access—first on iOS, with Android to follow later this year”).

“RealityScan, a free 3D scanning app, developed in collaboration with Quixel, that turns smartphone photos into high-fidelity 3D models—in the most accessible way possible.”

1 Like

Interesting :sunglasses::+1:t2:

I have used Canvas on my iPhone 12 mini. Search for Canvas Lite. It is not as accurate as using it with Lidar but it was very close for my needs. I am an interior designer. It was off by 1/4" over a 5’ dimension. I double check dimensions and modify the sketch up model as needed.
After scanning a couple projects I upgraded to an iPad Pro with Lidar.
If you are scanning multiple rooms wait until you’ve scanned all the rooms to upload the model. The cost is 0.15$ per square foot. It takes about 3 days to get the scans.
I am a HUGE fan. I am not compensated in any way by Canvas. It has made creating as built drawings very easy.

2 Likes

Thank you. I didn’t notice a Lite version but will check in the morning and see what’s what. Sounds very promising :+1:t2:

I use Polycam, I really like their interface and workflow, good export options, decent pricing and near instant processing. Granted, I use it with Lidar, but their app has a photo mode that works on phones without. Keep in mind that even with Lidar the accuracy resolution is not enough to simply build reliable measurements for architecture from, actual field measurements are still required depending on the accuracy needed.

In other words: Good enough that you don’t need Match Photo, eh? :wink:

1 Like

I hear you man, photo match is exceedingly handy and has its place for sure but I just think I’ve potentially more to gain so it’s worth investigation. Be mad not to. :+1:t2:
Thank you for the shout on that app. I will add it to my list to check out tomorrow. :+1:t2:

I use Pix4D Mapper for drone photogrammetry and import into SU with Scan Essentials (or Undet). These models can be very accurate. They have another option, which I tried once… with poor results (too bright, no strategy). However, they have an option to process using their cloud services (free for now) and with a little practice learning how to do the scans I’m guessing one could get good results.

PIX4Dcatch: Turn your mobile device into a professional 3D scanner | Pix4D

1 Like