Spanish Roof tile

I have to show Spanish tiles on a four sloping planes roof. It is a rectangular roof so two sides are different to the other two. See attachment.
Using the paint bucket is not an option. So I saw a few roof tile in the 3D Warehouse. My question is how to modify them to have the roof shape to cover the roof? They are all components or groups and I tried to modify them but it is a labor intensive work, I know it has to a easier way.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.
CeramicRoofTiles2.skp (84.3 KB)

[quote=“cb94030, post:1, topic:6455”]
Using the paint bucket is not an option.
[/quote]Why isn’t that an option? Can you tell us more?

[quote=“cb94030, post:1, topic:6455”]
So I saw a few roof tile in the 3D Warehouse. My question is how to modify them to have the roof shape to cover the roof? They are all components or groups and I tried to modify them but it is a labor intensive work, I know it has to a easier way.
[/quote] Which tile component(s) did you have in mind?
Do you want to bring down their number of entities to lower overall file size?
Do you want to …? What is so hard to modify them? Please link to one or more examples.
p.s. a roof tile has fixed dimensions so you’ll have to deal with that at intersections of roof sides. Just as in real life. Is the model for presentation only?

Using a material image is the best option.
It will help us help you if you’ll explain the purpose of modeling the physical shape of the roof tile.
If you absolutely must model the tile, I’d recommend doing it yourself.
Keep the geometry as simple as possible. You’ll find plenty of ideas in this discussion.

Hip Roof

In working with your model it appears you’re struggling a bit with creating the hip roof shape.
Extruding a profile of the roof along a path with Follow Me is by far the easiest method.
See this copy of your model:

Visit Aidan Chopra’s Videos for many more roof modeling techniques.

Chris, as @Geo mentioned, using actual geometry for the tiles instead of a tiling image is not a good idea, but if you really feel you must, it would go something like this (notice, I’m not actually trimming all the tiles around the perimeter of the roof because even I have my limits on how much tedium I can endure.)

-Gully

@cb94030

Let’s try to to keep the discussion in one thread (this one) so we have some continuity.

And just for the sake of continuity here’s the link to your post in the other topic thread I quoted above.
Read that thread carefully and you find examples (models) made by @Cotty and @Geo

Thank you guys for your response.

Wo3Dan,

• Painting the roof tile with the Paint Bucket obviously it looks just like painted, I want a more realistic roof tile for the perspective.
  • The roof tile could be any Spanish stile. It doesn’t have to be an specific one.
  • What I found “labor intensive” to modify is to cut the roof tile from 3D Warehouse because the are made of components. I am attaching one example of the roof that I was trying to adapt to my roof.
    CeramicRoofTiles.skp (217.2 KB)
    Please tell me, how you would use this roof tile to the shape of my roof.

Geo,

• Wouldn’t the material image looks flat, same as using the paint bucket? I will give it a try anyway.
  • The shape of the roof is covering a hallway which is higher than the rest of the house’s roof.

Gully,
Before I posted my question, I was doing just what you showed here and I thought it has to be an easy way to cut these tiles, but I guess is not. I will follow your advise and use tiling images. Now would you give me just a quick explanation how to use correctly the image tiling and where to find nice images?
Thank you Gully!!!

Thank you Geo!!!

Chris

I just looked on Google Image for “spanish tile roof seamless images” and found a bunch. I grabbed one I sort of liked, but it had a commercial watermark on it, so I broiught it into PaintShop Pro and grabbed a seamless hunk of the image without watermarks and saved it to disk. Here it is:

Painting the roof with the image is too easy to talk about. File > Import > [filetype] > Use as texture. Then paint it on the roof:

You’ll have to scale the image and position and probably rotate it. Use the Position Texture tool (right-click face > Texture > Position) to do all of that interacively, or you can set the scale with Edit Material. If you do a long side first, you’ll have to rotate the texture for the short side. Then you can just sample them (Alt-Bucket) to paint the same pattern on the other long and short sides of the roof. Then you can build actual geometry ridge tiles to make it look realistic.

-Gully

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Gully!!! I will use this image, it looks great.
Chris

Gully,
Yes I did it, but to align the ridge tiles over the ridge roof took me about 20 minutes. :grin: Please check the attachment.
CeramicRoofTiles.skp (195.1 KB)
Can you tell me how would you align the ridge tiles over the ridge?
By the way, what is your opinion about this plugin: http://www.valiarchitects.com/subscription_scripts/instant-roof-nui ?
Thank you.
Chris

Sorry for butting in but before you work too hard, you should know that those ridge/hip tiles are upside down.

Shep

Butting in? Not at all. Indeed, it would be more of a rescue than butting in, I assure you.

Chris, as to the alignment, as Shep mentioned, the tiles need to lap each other with each successive higher tile placed over its lower neighbor so the runoff cascades to the bottom instead of seeping into into the joints, so the flares should be downslope. Also, there appear to be fittings like an end cap and a corner piece, and you have to stack the tiles along the ridgeline so once again the runoff cascades down the row of tiles.

I would use a linear array to propagate copies of the bottom tile up the slope of the hip. I would just have to make sure that I got the bottom tile oriented correctly and aimed the move operation in the right direction. I might draw a sloping line in space representing the exact vector that first the initial move and then the array would need to take, so I could just snap to one end then the other to define the move.

Don’t you think the watermark is there with an intention?

Uh, it’s like a speed bump, right?

YES!!! of course Gully, the tiles are not lapped correctly as you and Shep said. I was so into aligning the hip tiles that I got from the 3D-Warehouse that I wasn’t paying attention the way they lap. What a mistake. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Chris

In a slight aside, you may find it useful to insert some geometry into a component that would make it easier to align. This geometry can be selected and placed on a layer in order to hide later.

Shep

1 Like

Thank you Shep!!! Nice example.
I aligned the row of hip tiles over the roof’s hip using additional geometry but it looks that your method is better than what I did. Now that the tiles are aligned horizontally, please tell me how you would align or place the row of hip tiles over the roof’s hip. Just to keep learning.
Thank you.
Chris

Hello and these guys are GOOD. So your question or problem may be solved, but this short tutorial about textures may come in handy down the road. It is for adjusting and controlling them from the Materials drop down. It is not just the modeling of a cushion, but if you need to do a lot of work with textures. At the 8.30 minute mark is were he explains the Texture option that you can open after you have selected and right-clicked the texture in the model. I have seen how you can lighten or darken the color and transparency, plus the size. This gives you control of the placement // alining on the surface`s AFTER PLACING and seams like a very USEFUL tid-bit of info for future references. I am learning also so in scrolling the forums helps me get extra insight to future troubles and gather a lot of great explanations. Hope it is useful and an easy share…Peace…

Gully, Geo,
Just the Top Roof.skp (265.8 KB)
As I didn’t find a hip starter and a 3 way apex, I made them myself but it took me almost 2 days. It was a SU and geometry problem, very interesting but I know it has to be an easier way to do it.
Please see the attached roof which is maybe 10% of the whole house roof and kindly give me your critic.
Thank you sir!!
Chris