SpaceMouse support in SketchUp Web

Hi there,

I am with 3Dconnexion, the makers of the SpaceMouse devices. We are having trouble enabling them in your web-based version of SketchUp (they work fine in the desktop version). I was asked by your tech support team to bring this up on your forums in order for someone to reach out to us. Which I hereby did :slight_smile:

Best,
Robert

1 Like

Might be that @TheOnlyAaron would be able to help you get things going when he’s at work.

I think the basic issue is that your hardware needs a plugin to work with the software, But the web version doesn’t use 3rd party plugins. So your developers and Sketchup’s developers would need to sit down and work something out.
If you were to make it work there would be a huge number of people made very happy.

4 Likes

@Gopal - check out this demo:

https://3dconnexion.com/technical_support/web_threejs.html

It works with space mouse in Safari and Chrome on Mac, and in Chrome and Edge on Windows. Seems a bit sensitive in Edge. Not sure what the effort would be in adding support to SketchUp, but the demo shows that it’s possible.

@robert_stadie The demo doesn’t honor gravity, which usually is turned on in SketchUp. The demo may not feel quite like space mouse does in SketchUp desktop. Not sure if you could get a gravity option added to make it feel more correct.

3 Likes

@colin Thanks for sharing the demo with the forum. This demo is intended to show the technical feasibility of manipulating 3D browser content without the need of any special add-ins. Regarding the “gravity” I assume you are referring to what we call “Lock Horizon”. You can enable it in our driver for Windows in the Advanced Settings.

In the case of SketchUp for Web we would aim it behaves like the desktop version but with zero download and zero install (except for our usual driver). There are already commercial products out there which could be taken as a benchmark.

We are here to make it happen… :sunglasses:

@robert_stadie, see my post here: Sketchup Free (online version) does not support 3D Spacemouse - #30 by happy_vector. and cc @AndyDove, @russellfincher who asked similar questions in separate posts.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @happy_vector. Interesting project!
I strongly believe that the best user experience is provided by our 3DconnexionJS interface but the integration would need some support from the SketchUp development team. This cannot be done solely from the outside (otherwise we would have already done it).

Hi. Many years a Sketchup user here. I took a couple of years break because of Covid, and coming back now I just need to modify a sketch and don’t need to sign up for a year. Wondering if there’s any update on the Chrome situation as I’ve always used a SpaceMouse and I’m hopeless without it.

I tried happy_vector’s plugin, but it seems not to work on Mac, and none of his GitHub contact links work now :frowning:

Thanks in advance for any help or information.

I have no idea if it works on Mac or ot…(Google Chrome required)

1 Like

Hey thanks man. Yeah that’s the one I tried. Status never moves from “Disconnected” in Chrome/Mac. Thanks anyway.

1 Like

As mentioned previously, the solution for this problem is Trimble integrating SpaceMouse support directly into SketchUp Web. Probably more customer voices are needed to make this happen.

Pleas make integration with SpaceMouse support directly into SketchUp Web

This would be fantastic to have the SpaceMouse working with SketchUp Web. Actually… would love to get it working right with SketchUp for iPad too!

1 Like

According to an email I received recently from a Product Manager at 3DConnexion, they have an SDK available that can be used by Trimble to enable Space Mouse support within SketchUp for Web. They require Trimble/SketchUp to do this work but he said they will provide assistance if needed.

So, the next questions are whether the SketchUp devs are aware of this possibility and whether there is any plan to do it. @colin, any way to find out if the web devs know this? As usual, I seriously doubt they will reveal any info about plans until they are ready to release it though.

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s the same email, but people should look for one from this morning, titled “Tell us about your SpaceMouse in SketchUp!”

It seems to be entirely about whether they should do support in the web version of SketchUp. Or maybe the plan is to encourage us to do our bit.

1 Like

I got that email too. It’s different from the earlier one I was referring to. The new one is mostly a survey about overall usage, but directs you to SketchUp sites if you want to lobby Trimble for support in the web version. In other words, like the earlier one it implies that 3DC has no intention of implementing web support, it is up to Trimble.

1 Like

Yeah… that email. I received it and responded that it would be good to have it working with SU4web. But, it’s true that, when reading, it seemed as though there was a conflict of collaboration, requiring users here to vote or chime in to encourage Trimble to give them access or open door to develop the plugin that apparently “can’t”/“won’t” be developed without the access to a door that needs to be open by SketchUp. Seems that’s it’s up to users to “influence” whether or not this dev would move forward via brut force of public opinion instead of cooperate, internal communications? Anyway, that’s how the radar are reading it.

Any update on having 3Dconnexion working with SketchUp for Web?