Sometimes I Do My Best Thinking in the Shower

…and then some times there’s things like this:

If petroleum is oil from rocks, is mausoleum oil made from mice?

8 Likes

King Mausolos would be offended, but luckily he is already in his grave.

1 Like

But perhaps “moussaka” is made from mice [but usually lamb, and delicious !]
And of course “mousse” is also delicious [unless it’s to put on your hair!], and in my experience neither type has ever harmed a single mouse !!
I’ve never used “micellar” water, but I hope that no mice are involved in its manufacture !!
:astonished: :thinking:

1 Like

Is sjömansbiff (sailor beef) made from sjömän (sailors)?

2 Likes

Are mics amputated mice?

1 Like

One of my favourite dishes. The only decent use for non-alcoholic beer.

1 Like

Somewhat like moussaka… staple dinners in the UK are ‘shepherds pie’ - which contains minced-lamb/sheep, not their keepers; and the similar ‘cottage pie’ - made with minced-beef, not small-dwellings…

1 Like

Is baby oil made from babies?

1 Like

I’ve always questioned the name as it doesn’t contain pastry. So is it actually pie anyway?

What about virgin oil? :open_mouth:

2 Likes

A while back I made a shepherd pie but only had pork mince on hand. I guess that made it swineherd pie.

I’m sure that one day the EU will define exactly what a pie is, and thereby mess with generations of tradition…
But to my mind anything cooked in a dish with a topping of some kind is a pie - pastry or mashed potatoes etc…
If it’s not shepherds pie, cottage pie, fishermans pie etc what do we call it ?
It’s clearly not a ‘pudding’ or a ‘tart’ - it has no ‘base’ ??

But we digress…

1 Like

In Wisconsin and Minnesota it would be hotdish. :smiley:

1 Like

Another thing has occurred to me…
In the UK we have ‘mince-pies’ and ‘minced-meat-pies’
The former is made with ‘mince-meat’, the later is made with ‘minced-meat’ [in the US you’d say ‘ground’?]
As you’d expect the ‘minced-meat-pie’ contains ground-up beef and probably things like onions etc inside a pastry case - it’s savory.
But a ‘mince-pie’ contains sugar, dried-fruit and so on again inside a pastry case - and it is [very] sweet - these are common around Xmas.
‘Mince-meat’ is now bought in jars like ‘jam’ - originally it would have actually contained minced meat - usually poultry - and was something like a ‘curry’ which contained sweet elements…
Over the years the ‘meat’ part was omitted and now it’s entirely ‘vegetarian’…

A bit like Coca-cola no longer contains any coca/cocaine ?

1 Like

But only if it contains Cream of Mushroom Soup, a required ingredient of hotdish :wink:

1 Like

Finns have a famous dish that would translate into English as “Fish Rooster” (to use the PC word for the male of the Gallus gallus domesticus). It has no fowl in it.

They can also be in a tomato based sauce.

I think my head is going to explode!

I’ll think of this next time when I cannot make it home before the rain.

In the UK there’s “Bombay-Duck” - a long established dish, coming from our ties with India and its cuisine…
But there are no birds involved - it’s a type of [smelly] dried fish !
Bombay duck - Wikipedia

I’m not keen on “Sweetbreads” - which are not bread and not sweet - but a calf or lamb’s pancreas typically fried in breadcrumbs !

Our “Welsh-rabbit” is of course entirely meat-free - basically its cheese-on-toast !

“Toad-in-the-Hole” has no amphibians in it - pork-sausages baked in a batter-pudding…

In Scotland the thick soup “Cullen-Skink” gives you few clues as to what’s in it - it’s smoked-haddock, potatoes and onions… and definitely no lizards !

And last, but no means least - “Spotted-Dick”
No it’s not a disease of a man’s genitals, but rather a traditional sweet steamed pudding made from suet [e.g. an animal’s kidney-fat], sugar and dried fruit - delicious albeit a bit stodgy.

2 Likes