Sometimes I Do My Best Thinking in the Shower

Chocolate Concrete and custard were always my choice at school over Spotted Dick. And surprisingly chocolate concrete isn’t actually made of concrete, it’s just very hard.

What about reinforced chocolate concrete?

1 Like

I don’t believe so. But provided there were custard to soften the bugger, I’d give it a go.

When struggling someone might say:
“You’ll never do that in a month of Sunday’s”- How long is this period of time? Sunday must be longer than the other days?!

Or “You’ve got more chance of platting fog” - So someone has actually tried this? And why?!

Help me out, what is ducktape?

1 Like

It’s for fixing simple things, one might say it’s for Poultry problems.

2 Likes

(My best recollection of this dialog from Chef! as I can’t find an exact quote online)

Janice: “You know how there’s no toad in ‘Toad in the Hole?’”
Gareth: “Un-hun.”
Janice: “What’s in ‘Cowfoot and Beans?’”
Gareth: “Cowfoot and Beans.”

Why is there boysenberry flavored yogurt, but no girlsenberry?

Imagine taking a bird’s-eye view with a fisheye lens…

1 Like

I could use a shower, haven’t felt the need since lockdown…

1 Like

If you get down on your knees, you could take a baby shower.

2 Likes

In the UK the main manufacturer of ‘Fish-fingers’ is ‘Birdseye’
I know fish don’t have fingers, but they also used to make ‘crispy-cod-balls’ - poor cod !

Thinking about it, in the UK our shops’ names are weird… e.g.
‘Boots’ is a chemists [drugstore], and one of the few things it doesn’t sell is footwear.
‘Currys’ is an electrical shop, and sells no food at all.
‘Wickes’ is a building merchant, and nothing to do with candles.
‘Selfridges’ is a dept-store and so it sells many things… but no fridges.
‘Waterstones’ sells books - no water or stone in stock.
‘Whirlpool’ makes fridges, while ‘Hotpoint’ make washers.

2 Likes

It’s actually “Duct Tape” - but SOUNDS like “ducktape”. This is a frequent Mondegreen. Duct tape was originally designed to tape the joints of - ducting - to eliminate air (or other ducted gases) loss at joints.

Correctly applied to almost any material, it’s the tape equivalent of Bondo - it’s amazing what you can do with it! For instance, here is a homemade Covid19 mask (NOT N95) made from shop towels, rubber bands, a paper clip - and duct tape!

I personally prefer to use (and keep in my shop) Gaffer tape. It’s usage is similar, but it doesn’t have a funny Mondegreen!

1 Like

Actually, many sources say it is the other way around. They claim the tape was developed during WW II to seal ammo cases. It was made by Johnson & Johnson. Some claim it got the name “duck” because it shed water. Others say it is because the base was cotton duck fabric. The application to sealing up air ducts and the renaming as duct tape came later. And, in fact, it is not a particularly good tape for that purpose, as it dries out, becomes brittle and eventually comes loose. On that last point I speak from experience having recently redone the air ducts in my house, where much of the duct tape was very loose and/or split. Today aluminum-based tape is recommended for ducts.

2 Likes

Beat me to it. That’s been my general understanding. Here’s Wikipedia’s version.

Having a movie director sister, I first heard the term “gaffers tape” when she and a crew of other NYU film school buddies descended on our house in 1970 to shoot a documentary. I remember it used to tape huge rolls of 85B filer gells over the windows.

In the 60’s I remember using ducktape for repairing book bindings.

Aaargh… says the bookbinder in me. Public libraries in our parts have the disastrous habit of putting adhesive plastic foil on their book covers.

Aaargh indeed! My wife is a (retired) librarian and taught me the right ways to repair books. I volunteered doing this at the local library for a while. Special tapes, pastes, etc. not duct tape, god forbid!

1 Like

Gaff tape is the solution to almost every problem! I use it by the mile, for everything except ducts, or ducks.

Anything is better than tape. It deteriorates rather fast and both stops holding and leaves a sticky substance that is impossible to remove. I did my first book repairs almost 40 years ago, using standard woodworking PVA glue, and they still seem OK. But anything to do with plastic shouldn’t be used on any items of value.