Something different with backups in 2019?

I understand the workaround, but why add complexity?

1 Like

These are auto recovery files, and they include copies of files that have never yet been saved. The backup files should be appearing in the saved fileā€™s folder, only the recovery files are in the Library folder, and those are shown in the 2019 Files window. Most users wonā€™t need to worry about where the file was recovered from.

Tx, Above info was incomplete. Found it all working. TX!

I am having the exact same problemā€¦Iā€™m an experienced SketchUp user, know how to set the preferences. In past versions, I would look in the folder where i was saving my model to find skb files or auto-save files. Is that no longer true? I no longer see them there, and have also tried following the paths listed below through the AppDate files and have found nothing. A search of my computer also turns up nothing. Iā€™m working with huge files and rendering with Enscape, which seems to make crashes likely, so huge issue when I canā€™t locate any back-ups. Can someone help?

Which version of SketchUp are you using? For the latest version (19.2), you can find recovered (aka, auto-save) files here (on Windows systems):

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\SketchUp\SketchUp 2019\SketchUp\working\SKETCHUP\RecoveredFiles

So, going there, I found these 3 saved files although Iā€™ve been working with many files in this time frame. I specifically crashed yesterday around noon and couldnā€™t locate the file.

So, please clarify:

• Why am I only finding a few of the files Iā€™ve been working on here even though all files have autosave and back-up enabled?

*Why are the few files that are here only skp files and not skb files or autosave files?

• Why not have back-up and autosave files saved to the same folder as the model like in the pastā€¦seems way easier for everyone to find than through this string? Iā€™m also concerned because I teach SketchUp at Bellevue College and in the fall, students will be using SU2017. I donā€™t think they will even be able to navigate through this string because of the schoolā€™s limits.

I appreciate your help.
Diane

Sorryā€¦as a follow-up to my longer message above, I meant that students will be using SU2019ā€¦typo

The RecoveredFiles directory only contains the models with unsaved changes (i.e. SU crashed before you could save the most recent changes). If you navigate to that directory, launch SU, and make changes to the model, you will see a file show up once auto-save kicks in. Saving the model deletes that auto-saved file until more (unsaved) changes are made to the model.

So. I guess my main question remains: since I have both auto-save and back-up options checked, shouldnā€™t I be seeing them saved in the same location as my main file, as in all past versions of SketchUp?

Backup files are saved in the same directory as your SketchUp model. They are indicated by the .skb file extension.

Recovered files (aka, auto-save) are located in the aforementioned AppData directory.

Changes to auto-save location is covered in the release notes, which can be found here.

Hi Guys,
Thank you for all of your comments because at least they are all helping me finding faster and where is it about exactly ā€¦ i tried from the comment but i couldnā€™t find it so I randomly click each. Then I FOUND ITTTT :smiling_face::smiling_face::smiling_face:

I use skp 2019, Window 10
. In my case it was just crashed and I havenā€™t save any Original file before:
!!!

here is where I found my autosave back up>>>
C: users> ur name> AppData> Local>SketchUp> SketchUp 2019 > Sketchup> working>SKETCHUP> RecoveredFiles > ā€šUntitled ā€ž

Hope U guys found ittt :blush::blush::blush::blush::relieved:

One useful thing to know is that paths can be written using special tags. This path would work for everyone, no matter what their user name is:

%LocalAppData%\SketchUp\SketchUp 2019\SketchUp\working\SKETCHUP\RecoveredFiles