Some way to know where intersection fails?

Hi everybody.

Is there any way to know where intersection fails?

I have this, but when I intersect with selection or model it doesn’t work.

It forces me to do some workaround like this (I also tried scalling the component x100):

Then I can get this:

draft.skp (454.7 KB)

Thanks in advance.

The problem is that your images are not intersecting each other…

Look in this image below… the two nearest intersections work, but the ones in the back are just below the intersecting images.

Thank you. Alright, I can appreciate the one more away from me doesn’t match, but the rest of them … I would need a hawk eye to identify them. Isn’t there something like solid inspector who highlights the problems?

I don’t see the problem you are facing. Even two faces with edges that do not intersect at all obay the ‘Intersect Faces with’ … operation with the expected result. Why do you need these extended edges like in your second image?

Would you able to get the final image with those not intersections?, I would say it’s not possible, but I’m usually wrong :confused:

I wouldn’t say that you are wrong. But intersection of faces works as expected but above some of the faces there just isn’t anything to intersect. Just like @TheOnlyAaron points out.
Your expectation for SketchUp to extend the new edge is something SketchUp just won’t do.

If you would have positioned all four faces at the same height, with bottom edges crossing and top edges crossing, then all faces would split into three parts after the intersect operation.

So it’s not a failure of the intersection. Intersect Faces is working just fine based on what you are giving it to do. If you want to actually discover if there are places where faces or surfaces don’t get divided by Intersect, select the face/surface on one side of the intersection. If the face/surface on the other side highlights, too, you’ve got a problem maybe as @g.h.hubers shows and you can see that you need to go hunting to find the issue.

1 Like

Thanks, I wasn’t blaming the intersection, just looking for a way to see clear where there is intersection an where it’s not, but I guess selecting the face after intersecting is the most close I’m going to be.

Usually it’s easier to tell than your example. If you triple click and get all the edges to highlight, the places they are missing might be more apparent. And if you turn up the size of profiles in the styles, then select highlight the objects, edges that failed to get all the way to the other side of the surface and divide a face will stand out more.