So why SKM?--Drag and Drop from Finder!

I downloaded a folder of SKM files recently and perhaps for the first time I wonder why we have to use SKM as an intermediary in SketchUp. What does SKM offer? It seems to be in the way.

The files in this folder are useless until I get its folder (or make a new folder) into the Application Support folder and restart SketchUp, whereas any other image file can be dropped directly. Is there another (good) method to get one SKM into your model.

If you drag an skm into your window it shows “+” sign but nothing happens. I look at my Finder window and it is way better to use than the SketchUP Materials windows.
I’d much rather work with a finder window of my textures than the SketchUp Materials window.

So why do we have SKM at all?

1 Like

An skm file is a zip file that SketchUp will look at for texture information. It included the raster image file, a thumbnail image file and a file that tells SketchUp how large an area the image should cover when it is applied. There’s other information related to the color and scale, too. It’s not just a simple raster image.

2 Likes

Ah the size data! Especially after you’ve specified it for the model. Still would be nice if it were more fluid, as in drag and drop an SKM into the model or onto a face. Anything to not use the material browser.

I guess you could use File>Import and import raster images each time you want them. :wink:

1 Like

I do that for most materials if I am going to render the file. Of course it still involves the browser to name or if I want to re-size the texture. There are many skm materials available however that are fine for a lot of uses or as a sort of proxy material.

Having the SKM with the pattern size and color data stored separately is what allows non destructive editing through the material browser. So unlike editing the base image, you can change color and transparency and size as much as you want and “reset color” is always available to return to the original texture.

4 Likes

I don’t use the Materials browser to name or set the size of my materials. Using File>Import and selecting Use as Texture, I apply the material to a rectangle sized to the material. It takes the name of the image I imported.

Yes, it is one of those things that constantly needs explaining to new users:
‘No, you can’t drag skm inside your model, like in Windows”
‘You are creative, no need to have folders or list view, like in Windows’
Almost starting to like Windows :grinning:

Being a zipped file offers other possibilities, like putting metadata on the material. Like SKC (SKetchUp Classification) this info could be displayed/altered in the DC dialog

1 Like

Why SketchUp doesn’t support drag and drop SKM for loading the material, activating Paint Bucket and select said material is a very good question.

1 Like

Fixed it!

ene_skm_loader_v1.0.0.rbz (1.0 KB)

11 Likes

Haha EXCELLENT! :pray: :pray: :pray:

The sages have spoken and it is done. Thank you for sharing your brilliance!

As I’ve seen said so many times, the right man for the job is a women! Great job Ms. Eneroth!

1 Like

Tack så mycket för att du publicerade detta. Det är ganska svårt att veta när nya tillägg finns tillgängliga eftersom SketchUp vägrar att fixa den relaterade sökfunktionen för Extension Warehouse.

1 Like

“New Extensions” would be an obvious category on the front page, in addition to the ability to search by publish date.

1 Like

WOW! That was fast :rofl: :clap:

The extensions I had for running .rb scripts or installing .rbz files share nearly all code except for their name, description and maybe 2 or 2 lines, so I didn’t have to do much work :stuck_out_tongue: .

1 Like

Excuse my ignorance, but does this discussion cover all versions of SU or just Free? Thanks.

Extensions don’t work on any web based version which are SketchUp Free, SketchUp Shop, and SketchUp for Schools. You need a desktop version to run extensions, those being SketchUp Make 2017 or SketchUp Pro.

1 Like