Slow as a Snail

I have been creating with SketchUp since 2012 and am totally crazy about it.

the problem is, my files are getting huge and they are slow as snails to get around in. I am an architect and as a hobby I create un-built Frank Lloyd Wright house and render them in Enscape. The model I am working with at the moment is 384,580 KB.

Once I get in Encape, it flys, but if I see a small problem or want to move something it takes minutes… I want/need it to take only seconds. I know, I am impatient.

What graphics cards, amount of RAM, etc. should I be looking at for my next comuter? Is there anything else I should consider to help speed things up?

Thanks

inazniV

Might not hurt to try purging unused stuff from your model.

For your next computer, faster CPU would probably help. SketchUp can only use one core so the number of cores is not a factor although it could be for many rendering application which can utilize them. A GPU with a lot of RAM is good.

Biggest thing is to ensure you are using good, clean modeling practices. Don’t use extremely large images for textures–they get down-sampled anyway. Don’t use obese components. No need to have details that will never show. They become a liability, not an asset. And again, purge unused stuff from your files regularly. The other day I looked at a file for someone who was complaining it was very slow. Part of the problem was solved by stripping out the unneeded details and part of it was solved by purging unused stuff. That reduced the file size by about 96% and everything hummed along nicely.

You can also use tags to control visibility of objects in your model so you can temporarily get rid of objects that you don’t need to see or work on.

1 Like

I do purge regularly, but am very guilty of getting out of contol with detail no one will probably really see. Its the cross I bear as an ■■■■ architect!

Thank You DaveR

LOL. I understand. You probably majored in Architecture and minored in Over-Detailing. It can be a difficult thing to suppress. I think the thing to do is to try to keep your models closer to theatrical sets. Minimal detail. Just enough to get the point across.

I am going to remember this. Dave Method #2
:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

:smiley: :+1:

Of course you only have to look at some of my models to know I don’t always practice what I preach.