Slope the top of a curved wall, while keeping the geometry's parallel to Z-axis

Question is pretty much in the subject. It applies to any curved geometry of course, it’s just that I encounter it when making site retaining walls. I make a curve, offset it, close it up, pushpull the face up, for example, 4’. Looking at the smoothed/hidden geometry composing the sides of this geometry with color by axis, I see lots of nice dotted blue lines. Every vertical edge is along the z-axis.

Then, because I want one end of the wall to be only 3’ tall, and making sure the top edges are still welded, I grab one of the end edges at the top and move it down along the z-axis. Now I have a curved wall that is 4’ tall and one end and 3’ tall at the other, with a nice smooth top surface. The vertical edges at one end are 4’ long and still blue, aligned along the Z-axis. At the other ends, they are blue and 3’ long.

However. If I view the hidden/soften edges all along the sides of wall, they are no longer blue. Forcing one end down from 4’ to 3’ along the z-axis has pushed most of the intervening z-axis edges off the axis.

Does anyone know of a way to keep those sides on the z-axis?

No. I usually resort to Curvishear to draw such things.

If on the other hand you have one curved surface that you like with inclined top edge–you can use Joint Push pull to give it width. But I find Curvishear more logical for construction purposes.

1 Like

You could use a rectangle, tilt it and intersect faces…
After that you would have to clean up the bits you don’t want…

Edit:
The top of the wall would slant in only one direction and not along the curve, so probably not what you want…

Using the move tool to deform the curves results in top and bottom arcs that are not aligned in plan view. Autofold tries to keep the shape together by moving the walls out of plumb (not 90˚) to the floor and by splitting them as the edges are no longer coplanar.

Curvishere could automate the first part of creating the arc edges with accurate heights. I did it here manually with native tools via intersect to demonstrate the theory.

Then JointPushPull to add thickness.

3 Likes

Curvishear has the advantage to give a consistent fall along the path of the curve, if you need that.

1 Like

Curvishear + Curviloft, or JointPushPull. Both amazing, both solutions. Thank you both!

Good old Justin from the SketchupEssentials YouTube channel (“what’s up guys”) has a whole video about it, but I never thought to call the geometry a ramp, I always called it a wall. Without knowing to search for ramps, I would never have found his video. As it was, I only found it because of the key word Curvishear. Of course, searching for Curvishear in the Extension Warehouse turned up nothing, and finding it at Sketchucation was difficult, too, as it is a part of Fredo6’s tools.
Point is, I need to up my search game.
I am feeling sheepish, having used this program professionally since 2002, I am only now discovering all these amazing plugins that go beyond my tried and true suite of extensions, which is to say not much more than “add hidden layer”, CleanUp Tools, Deselect all Edges, Deselect all Faces, weld (before it recently became native), and “PushPull in Any Direction”

1 Like