Sketchup Viewer - where are my files on Ipad?

If you opt to save a file for offline viewing where on Earth does the app stash the file on an ipad? Is it embedded in the app and otherwise not something that can be accessed in a folder somewhere?

iOS has a Files app now. In the SketchUp Viewer app you would still touch the cloud icon in the upper right as if you were going to 3D Warehouse or Trimble Connect, but instead you choose Files on Device, to open the file you have stashed.

Thanks! But the problem I’m having is where the app stashes files once you’ve saved them to the ipad. As far as I can tell there is no way to export or extract files from the app - as if files saved for offline use are embedded in the app and all you can do is delete them. The app’s folders you can access through iTunes do not contain the files saved to the device. Any thoughts?

You must try finding it in the source file where the installation of the software takes place. There is were most of the files get saved. You can check in the data folder.

On an ipad?

There are no folders on iOS. The software is a self-contained .app file and doesn’t spread across any other areas.

Well, sort of. But what I’m really getting at is the question of whether there is any way to extract or export a file saved to the ipad by sketchup viewer. So far I’m finding it is not an option offered by the app, nor can you can access where it stores your sketchup files, like with Itunes. It’s just not something you can do.

I totally understand. But I must ask, what app are you talking about? There is no iOS SketchUp app, per say, just a web-based version you can access from iOS. The only reason you’d want to download a file would be to open it in a desktop version of SketchUp or to share it. If you want to share it, I believe you can do that all in the cloud without any downloads. If you plan to use it on a computer, simply download it on the computer you desire. Hope that helps.

I’m talking about Sketchup Viewer for iOS. All you can do is load up sketchup files for viewing. That’s it. You can access them from the cloud or a network storage device.

What happened in our firm is someone took the ipad, installed the viewer and loaded up a drawing from a network storage device to show a client on site. The viewer gives you an option to save the files to the device for offline viewing, which she did. Fast forward a week. Someone else in the office manipulated said Sketchup file on the network storage device. So there is one version saved to the network storage device and now a different version on the ipad. The desire is to have the old version as well, the one that is only now on the iPad. But there seems to be no way to get at the files Sketchup Viewer saves on the ipad.

Perhaps the confusion comes from the fact that this was originally posted in the wrong forum category. I moved it to the Viewer/iOS category.

1 Like

Thank you - I somehow missed that category and posted in general. Much appreciated.

By the way, you don’t happen to know whether one can extract files saved on an ipad by Sketchup Viewer, do you? :wink:

No. I don’t. I don’t use an iPad for one thing.

Where did the file come from in the first place? How did you get it on to your iPad to use it in the viewer?

What happened in our firm is someone took the ipad, installed the viewer and loaded up a drawing from a network storage device to show a client on site. The viewer gives you an option to save the files to the device for offline viewing, which she did. Fast forward a week. Someone else in the office manipulated said Sketchup file on the network storage device. So there is one version saved to the network storage device and now a different version on the ipad. The desire is to have the old version as well, the one that is only now on the iPad. But there seems to be no way to get at the files Sketchup Viewer saves on the ipad.

I’ve of course googled ever way I could think to and read the skimpy Viewer instructions. No where can I get a yes or no as to whether files saved to the ios device can later be extracted.

Have you read the help article?

I wouldn’t be surprised if it isn’t really accessible from the viewer app as a SketchUp file. I get the impression from what I read that even if you could retrieve the file from the iPad, you wouldn’t be able to do anything with it in SketchUp. It would seem like a good idea because it would allow sharing the model with a client without giving away the model completely.

Yeah, I’ve read that and it doesn’t say a word about where it keeps the files. You make a good point that I hadn’t thought of - about sending the file to a client for viewing only. We have only used it to physically show the drawing to the client on our device, not send it to theirs. So yeah, that would be one good reason to deny access to the source.

I’m about 98% certain once it’s on an ipad or phone all you can do is look at it and delete it.

I don’t know that the scenario I suggest is right but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was. There have been many requests over the years for a way to be able to share a SketchUp model with a client so they can navigate around and examine things but otherwise have it locked up so it can’t be modified. That may just be what the viewer provides.

If it does, it’s an excellent feature for nearly all situations but in your case, it’s a bit of a problem, obviously. If you haven’t done so already, it might be worth instituting a policy that SketchUp files on the server never get modified after they are created. The users should first save only locally on their own machine and use Save as… to create a new file with a rev number or date appended to the file name. It means there’ll be a bunch of similar files but the original should never be overwritten. And maybe one person is assigned as the “owner” of the files and is the only one authorized to delete any revisions.

Yeah, the scenario on this end is unusual - our server/storage game is pretty tight. Live and learn.

Perhaps sync via iTunes?

Tried that! Searched itunes folders for any sketchup files. Nada.