SketchUp Viewer for HoloLens 2 - Orient in Real Space

Hi All,
I’m trying to get up to speed on SketchUp Viewer with our HoloLens 2. What I’d like to be able to do is orient a model in the actual physical space that it will be used/built. Is there a way to do this?

I’ve been through all of the training videos and help topics that SketchUp has and have been able to get models into the HoloLens, navigate around in Desktop and Immersive modes, etc. It works great but I’m just missing the orientation piece to make it a really useful tool. As it is now, it is essentially a VR app.

Thanks for your ideas and help.

Bump. Any ideas out there on this? Thanks!

I only know that VR Sketch supports VR goggles, not Hololens.
Maybe @Aristodimos knows :wink:

See if this video helps:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=SketchUp+hololens+rotate+model&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_aTyxYYLnMpmPtAad2ISwCg34

Yes, there is a sketchup viewer application specifically built for the Hololens.
You’ll need to:

1. Create a Trimble Connect account
  2. Upload your models to the cloud
  3. Download Sketchup Viewer on Hololens/sign into Trimble Connect
  4. Select model for viewing.

Beware the heavier the model the choppier the experience will be, I was able to load a 5,000 sq foot development with minimal detail as possible. It worked pretty well.

Hi Colin and TheMarv,
Thanks for your replies, I am familiar with and have used both of those workflows.

Here’s the scenario that I’m trying to use SketchUp and the HoloLens for… Lets say we are going to remodel an existing space. We create the revised model and then want to walk around the actual space with the HoloLens to see the model overlayed on the real, existing world. This is totally conceivable if we could just accurately orient the model with the real world using the floor and 2 points.

You can get kind of close to this concept by lining up a model with real space by first orienting the Desktop view as close as you can eyeball it to an existing wall and then very carefully dropping the Immersive Pin onto the spot in the Desktop model where you are actually standing in real space. It is very difficult to get close and not repeatable.

Trimble, is this something that’s possible? Thanks.

Hi @WDT-CAD,

SketchUp Viewer for Hololens 2 does not currently offer an alignment functionality.
There are manual controls that will allow you to anchor, move, and rotate a model, allowing you to approximate alignment.

If you are looking for a product that enables you to perform more accurate alignment then I would suggest you try out the following:

• Trimble Connect for Hololens 2 (Video | Microsoft Store)
    The TC for HL2 application that you can find on Microsoft Store includes a demo model that you can access for free to test out the various functionalities. If you want to purchase you can follow this link or fill out this form (if you are not in the US)

• Trimble Connect AR for iOS & Android devices (App Store | Google Play)
    The TC for AR application requires an active subscription to access it as far as I know. However you can reach out to their sales department to request a trial by filling out this form.

As the Product Manger for SketchUp Viewer, I would love to have a chat to understand what other workflows you would like to achieve with SketchUp Viewer for Hololens. I will make a note to follow up with the new year.

Best,
AK

Hi @MikeWayzovski,

That is correct. VR Sketch currently only supports the following devices:

• Oculus Rift
  • HTC Vive
  • Valve Index
  • Quest
  • Quest 2

Thx for looping me in this thread!
AK

1 Like

That sounds great Aris. I’d be happy to visit more and will also give those TC options a try. Thanks!

James Loverich
Computer Aided Design
Western Dakota Tech

@Aristodimos ,

I’m the owner of a business that’s offering a service similar to what @WDT-CAD is doing, we allow homeowners & GC’s to collaborate on project goals together by using the Hololens and Sketchup.

Currently Sketchup Viewer has some shortcomings when it comes to this service, namely the models not being dynamic once immersed as well as alignment issues. As the PM do you believe the Sketchup viewer app can introduce dynamic aspects once immersed? Moving groups, applying different textures/color, etc.

Thank you

@WDT-CAD ,

Something I’ve done is put sync points in the model then accurately align them to the same points in space.

I take a 2’ x 2’ square in the model, label them “1"and “2”, then measured and taped out the squares in space. Stand & align the model to those exact spots with both Hololens and both Hololens can view the their own copy of the model.This way my clients & builders can collaborate on the model since both of their views are aligned with a degree of accuracy, I’ve found it to be accurate within 1”. I wish it was better but it allows enough accuracy for collaboration to be possible.

Hi @TheMarv

Thank you for the feedback.
These are definitely options we ll consider for future development and I appreciate you bringing them to our attention.
If you don’t mind I would like will to have a 1:1 call with you to learn more about what you do and explore how our solutions can help you. If that’s of interest please send me a message with your email.

Thx!
Aris

This topic was automatically closed after 183 days. New replies are no longer allowed.