SketchUp to Blender workflow

render

Does anyone currently have a SketchUp to Blender workflow? I am mostly fishing for tips and resources. I primarily work with architectural modeling, retail fixture design, and gut rehabs. Any help would be much appreciated.

Depends on what you are doing, but .Dae works most of the time exporting from SketchUp. There used to be a Plugin that could open the native SketchUp file but I havent used it for years.

Check out https://gum.co/EEVEE

Thx for the response Liam
OBJ files work fine but the scale is off. Models import as monsters. No big deal really. I can work around it. Thanks.

Here’s one of the chapters from the course that goes over how to setup Blender so your files are imported at correct scale:

Hi @chippwalters, do you know if it’s possible to export to VR from EEVEE? Thanks a lot for your videos!

Currently there’s not an easy way to do this. There are some people experimenting, but nothing worth looking at now.

Unity is still your best bet.

Thanks! Hopefully it’ll be implemented soon.

Thanks Chip.
Video was very helpful in planning my workflow.

You’re welcome. Glad it helped!

If you have SketchUp Pro, Unreal Engine via datasmith is much cleaner than Unity at the moment.

Your course looks good I checked it out yesterday, I have put a proposal in at work to see if I can buy it via work. A lot of the team have pivoted from Keyshot to EEVEE and interior rendering is next on our todo list!

I am building a render farm with Blender 2.8 at the moment, have you ever looked at that (even with previous versions)? When I get it working I will be sure to post some results of the setup.

A couple of my buddies have created a render farm, but I have yet to try. I read about using Dropbox as a distributed rendering system, which sounds cool as then people can render animations from anywhere on the Internet.