SketchUp to Blender workflow

render

Does anyone currently have a SketchUp to Blender workflow? I am mostly fishing for tips and resources. I primarily work with architectural modeling, retail fixture design, and gut rehabs. Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Likes

Depends on what you are doing, but .Dae works most of the time exporting from SketchUp. There used to be a Plugin that could open the native SketchUp file but I havent used it for years.

0 Likes

Check out https://gum.co/EEVEE

1 Like

Thx for the response Liam
OBJ files work fine but the scale is off. Models import as monsters. No big deal really. I can work around it. Thanks.

0 Likes

Here’s one of the chapters from the course that goes over how to setup Blender so your files are imported at correct scale:

4 Likes

Hi @chippwalters, do you know if it’s possible to export to VR from EEVEE? Thanks a lot for your videos!

0 Likes

Currently there’s not an easy way to do this. There are some people experimenting, but nothing worth looking at now.

Unity is still your best bet.

0 Likes

Thanks! Hopefully it’ll be implemented soon.

0 Likes

Thanks Chip.
Video was very helpful in planning my workflow.

0 Likes

You’re welcome. Glad it helped!

0 Likes

If you have SketchUp Pro, Unreal Engine via datasmith is much cleaner than Unity at the moment.

Your course looks good I checked it out yesterday, I have put a proposal in at work to see if I can buy it via work. A lot of the team have pivoted from Keyshot to EEVEE and interior rendering is next on our todo list!

I am building a render farm with Blender 2.8 at the moment, have you ever looked at that (even with previous versions)? When I get it working I will be sure to post some results of the setup.

0 Likes

A couple of my buddies have created a render farm, but I have yet to try. I read about using Dropbox as a distributed rendering system, which sounds cool as then people can render animations from anywhere on the Internet.

1 Like

Howdy Chipp,
I am working my way through EEVEE Definitive tutorials. Great work. Packed with information and concise. Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words. Holler at me if you have any questions. Good luck :+1:

0 Likes

I’ve given up on SketchUp to Blender via “dae” files. Too unpredictable. IMHO there is no incentive for the SU team or plug-in developers to work on this.

0 Likes

Looks like there is something called BlenderXR which does support EEVEE. I’m going to jump in when I get a moment and see how it works. I’ve already donated to the cause and it seems to have the right feature set up to now.

1 Like

Yeah, I know. I use OBJs pretty much exclusively.

0 Likes

Thanks! I’ll take a look.

0 Likes