Sketchup Slow on MacBook Pro 2015

Until now, I could work fine on Sketchup and Photoshop. My Sketchup files were not bigger than 50 MB. Now I am working on a Sketch file of 100 MB, and with every mouse click, the wheel is turning for several seconds or more. Not workable anymore.

I already installed the newest software Monterey, I cleared space (free space 250 GB), and I put the laptop back to factory settings (even free space of 450 GB). And I did not make an automatic back-up, but only downloaded Sketchup and the single files I needed. Still it is slow as described above.

What to do? This is a fine computer and I really would like to use it longer!!!

Specs of MacBook Pro:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
Processor 2,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Startup disk Macintosh HD
Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Can anyone help? Thank you so much!

Post the model so someone can evaluate it to see if the cause is your workflow. Put it on dropbox or some other file sharing service.

Before trying anything else with your file, purge it (Model Info>Statistics window)

More suggestions: in the active Style, disable Profile edges and Shadows (if they are not already disabled).

Thank you Anssi, I clicked on ‘purged unused’. Let’s see how it goes…

profiles are disabled…
also disable edges?

@Anssi it is a bit less slow!

@RLGL @Anssi @TDahl I put a dropbox link to the file… Maybe someone can have a look?

That looks like you have edited, mixed or added a ‘Sketchy edge’ linestyle. Those will have an enormous impact on the +5M edges in the model.
Best to delete that style and then add the default one from the Default Styles collection.
Maybe adjust that, select the scenes in the scene panel that use that style and only update for the Style option.

1 Like

Thanks @MikeWayzovski , I will try to adjust this setting. Hope it helps!

It would also help to make sure you are using tags correctly…
Screenshot - 4_21_2022 , 9_36_03 AM

You could also trim down those scooters (mobility vehicles) to reduce their impact on the model as well as objects like this light fixture.

Maybe it could be deleted and purged from the file? It doesn’t seem to be adding anything useful to the model as it currently is.

There are other heavily detailed components that could stand to be put on a diet, too.

@DaveR thank you so much for your suggestions. I tried to follow them, but it seems there are parts of the program I still have to figure out. It seems I need some more Sketchup training…