SketchUp Pro 8 Licence in SketchUp Pro 2017

Hi, This is probably a very old topic but I cant find much on it.

In 2013 I purchased a Google Sketchup Pro licence that was never to expire. I have been out of action for the last few years due to an illness but am now back at work and would like to use Sketchup Pro 2017. So far however I have been unable to see how to do that as the 2017 installation does not accept the Version 8 licence and I have been unsuccesful in finding how to upgrade my never expiring licence to the 2017 version. I realise that Sketchup is now owned by Trimble but have assumed a never expiring licence is exactly that. Hope someone can advise what my options are.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You’re right , licences for every version of SketchUp do not expire and you can use different versions on the same computer , provided that you’ve obtained a licence for EACH version.
you can find more information about your licence here:
https://help.sketchup.com/en/article/3000288
So , a licence is personal AND version specific.
@Marc : I noticed that the link to the article about licences before 2015 didn’t work on my mobile platform , it got stuck in some kind of loop

Hi Mike and thank you for that response. I am now feeling a bit more optimistic about my Sketchup licence eventually being available for 2017. I could access the link you included thank you but it seemed to be a link with some information but no details on how to go about upgrading my license to the various editions since my original purchase. The text on the link is

“This article applies only to SketchUp Pro 2014 and SketchUp Pro 2013. For details about SketchUp Pro 2015 or Later, start at Understanding Your License.”

The header links gives me a page titled

“Important Update on a few Potential SketchUp 2017 issues on Windows”.

But these options dont appear to apply to my requirements. From what you have advised I assume I need to update from SU8 to the next in line which I think is 2013, then to 2014, then 2015, 2016 and then finally 2017. Is that sort of correct.

If they are any suggestions on how I go about that process?

Cheers and again thank you for your help.

The article has not been updated but your SketchUp 8 license will never work to license SketchUp 2017 or any other version of SketchUp. Go to this page and enter the SU8 serial number and the e-mail address you used for licensing. It will figure out the upgrade charge for you. Once you paid the upgrade fee, they will send you an e-mail with the new serial number and license key.

Thank you for the follow up info Dave. I have actually already visited that page but when I put in my SU8 serial number it tells me the following

“There is an issue with the serial used. The serial is case-sensitive.”

I am using the serial number as it is in SU8 which I still have on my PC and functioning although I am now using SU Make 2017 for the work I am involved in. I have also seen some comments about where SU8 may have been purchased from. I believe but cant confirm that it was purchased directly from Google via a Google account and download. The serial number however bigins with a MH and end with a MSM so maybe I dont have what I think I purchased. Interesting that I need to pay to update a licence that was supposed to never expire but I would like to at least work out how much I need to pay before getting all excited.

If you have any suggestions on what any additional options might be they would be appreciated.
Regards

You may need to contact Trimble directly regarding the SU8 license you have. Keep in mind Google abandoned and sold SketchUp about 5 years ago. They don’t have anything to do with it anymore.

The license for SU8 doesn’t expire for SU8. That doesn’t mean that the license is good for other versions. Each version requires a new license. Had you been upgrading all along, the upgrade fee would have been less than $100. It’s been long enough that they may tell you that you’d need to pay full price for the SU2017 license. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case but that’s something you need Customer Support to determine.

The other options are to stick with SU8 Pro, Just go through the normal purchase process for SU2017 as if you never had SketchUp, or, if you are using SketchUp for personal, hobby use, Get SketchUp 2017 Make which is available for free. Keep in mind that Make is not available for commercial use or any sort.

buying a license does of course not include a free lifetime maintenance for upgrades to new versions… as with more or less all other common commercial software.

1 Like

… appropriate license data, upgrading doesn’t create an additional license.

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.