Sketchup file over 100MB freezes after navigating a minute or two

This is the computer that I bought

HP SB Workstation Z440 Xeon E5 - 1650 256 GB SSD 8 GB RAM DVD SuperMulti

Also customized it and added these

1 - Crucial - DDR4 - 8 GB - DIMM 288-pin - upgrading my RAM to 16 GB
1 - NVIDIA Quadro K2200 Graphics Card - 4 GB RAM

The computer was bought with the thought that we met the requirements to run Sketchup. It’s brand new, running on Windows 7 64-bit. there are no other programs except MS Office and Sketcup Viewer. I’ve done all the windows updates as well us updated NVIDIA graphic drivers.

Our computer is just using Sketchup Viewer to navigate around sketchup files sent to us by our clients. We are a homebuilding company so most of our files are huge with a lot of layers. Files range from 100 MB - 400 MB. When I open a sketchup file, it will load properly but then it will freeze on me.

Is there something that I need to do to fix this or is my system not sufficient enough to handle this big file? It works fine on our client’s computers, just not on our side.

Please advise.

That is quite large for a SketchUp file. I personally try to keep mine under 50MB whenever possible. The larger the file gets, the more it will slow down your computer. Your specs seem good so I doubt it is the machine.

In my experience it tends to be something to do with the file itself. With that in mind, if you don’t mind me asking, what exactly are these files? Is there some sort of super complex geometry or over-detailed textures? Are you importing a lot of images in these files? Would you be willing to share one with me so I can take a look?

Cross Post

it may be a SU Viewer issue…

you could see if the trial version of pro performs any better and at least have a qualitative comparison…

john

Thanks for your response. Due to the nature of our projects, we cannot share the file. Our clients are the one creating the files for us, we are just viewing them. and files are actually around 600 MB which is really large but was told this is how big our project is since it’s a new community.

I will try to download the Sketchup Pro trial version, it maybe an issue with using the Sketchup Viewer only as suggested by another user.

I’ll try to download the Pro trial version right now and will let you know.

Thanks for your suggestion.

The problem is unlikely to be the files size.

I have one SU file which is 1.7GB in size within no textures. It could be a corrupt texture within the file; I have seen this several times before.

After installing the Sketchup Pro 2016 trial version, the file is running smoothly. I guess it was an issue with running the file on Sketchup Viewer.
We will test this for 30 days and see how it goes.
Thanks for your input.

1 Like

The same hardware configuration on my PRO 2018, crashing too. Now, do I need to upgrade to 2019 PRO? or just additional RAM?

Is it truly the same?
Check if you have the latest NVIDIA drivers, not through windows, but directly fro m NVIDIA.
Then make sure SketchUp uses the graphic card by right clicking on the desktop and choose the nvidia settings, 3D tab and add the programs that need the desicated graphic or strong video card…