Sketchup Amateur idea

I think SketchUp Make 2017 is a much better choice for hobbyists than Fusion 360 that has a much steeper learning curve…

Shop is porbably the better choice if you are starting out. I’ve tried a couple of Addons in 17 that I could not use as it says that its not compatable with 17 or operating system.

I beg to differ. Although there are being made tutorials for the web versions, the vast majority of tutorials are made for desktop versions of SketchUp.
That makes it easyer for beginners to use Make 2017.

This has little to do with beginners who start without extensions most of the time…
Can you tell wich extensions those were?
I can’t remember downloading any extensions that did not work with Make 2017.
And if so it is normally noted on the extension’s page. They show a list of compatible versions.

But it does not really matter does it. Wether you make a tutorial for Sketchup Shop or 17 the basics are the same.

The point im trying to make is this. Many things can be done with native tools in Sketchup Shop at the cost of time. Take a look at this video

It takes Aaron 7 minutes and a bit to create a rounded cube. If i want to do this quicker I would need to subscirbe to PRO to have access to the addon that will allow me to do that. Thats is $299.

If i want to do very basic and simple animations of lets say 2 gears revolving I need to pay $299.

With fusion 360 for example I can create a rounded cube and animations for free. With Solild works Creator I can do that for $9 a month.

Same applies for this video SketchUp Skill Builder: Modeling a Screw, Part 1 - YouTube where creating thread in Fusion 360 is almost instant. Hover the hole and click a button, select the thread size and you are good. This video is 8 minutes long
I can’t even use solid tools if I do not pay $119. Now In the bigges scheme of things I do not mind paying for a product but the package and payment phylosiphy that Trimble uses just does not make sense anymore when you compare it to other cad software at the moment.

Umm
Cube

10 Likes

OK try that with this now

Moving the goal posts.

3 Likes

Explain how you did that?

I did the same for the block but reduced the rectangle down, then did the cylinder as a separate follow me.

3 Likes

So… at this point I have to ask… do you want to know what you can and cannot do in SU Shop, or do you just want to say that you think Pro should be cheaper? Many of the things you are saying you want in shop have been shown to be there, if you are willing to learn. If you just want to talk about price… we have a couple other threads you can jump in on.

Overall I would recommend this, before saying that a software cannot do what you want, spend the time learning what it can do. If you see a shortcoming, ask the amazing forum members if they have a solution. SketchUp Shop is capable of so much more than people assume.

7 Likes

Nice work. And that is how i would have done that as well. But my point remains. There is no native tool in Sketchup shop to do this with where in other CAD programs they are included as standard. Either for free or at a lower cost that you would pay Trimble. I am not saying that it cant be done im talking about what you get out of sketchup for the money you pay.

I would gladly pay for a Trimble product that gave me a little bit more choice in the tools I have at my disposal.

The UI is very different!
A lot of people come here after trying Free with questions because it looks different than in YouTube tutorials.
Most questions I see are about finding where a tool is…

Hello Aaron.

I am talking about value for money. Your choices are extremely limited IMHO. All I am suggesting and asking is give us an option where we have a “debloated” Pro version.

So a Pro version wihtout VR or Vray or scene rendering or the ability to export building plans for approval.

For the third and last time, NO you don’t!!!
You can do this for free in Make with an extension…

OK i hear you. Can I for example anitmate 2 spur gears rvolving around their axis in Sketchup Shop?

can I make a screw thread in Sketchup shop without following Aarons video?

Every tool @box used is a native tool available in any version of SketchUp… Pro, Shop, Make, or Free.

3 Likes

Yes, it involves tags and scenes.

Manual thread is probably the video you mention, I haven’t seen it.

2 Likes

yeah its the manual tread video

C’monn! A few minutes ago you said this couldn’t be done fast in Shop…
You are making statements that hold no ground and contradicting yourself, not to mention repeating yourself over and over…
I’m getting to old for this, I’m out…

1 Like